Menu

"status theme" development

Help
Anonymous
2003-05-16
2003-05-16
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2003-05-16

I am working on a new theme that will provide feedback on the status of a running program.  The basic idea is this:

For example, I want to check and see if my setiathome units are processed.  As my internet access actually is charged by the hour, I cannot afford to be online all of the time.  So, after my x units are done, I want an icon that glows on my desktop that I can click on and have it continue on with the downloading of x more units after I get online. 

Now, the only way I have as of yet to get a glowing effect is to make a series of images that basically fade from full strength to completely invisible in the gimp, then load up the images and cycle through them when a certain file has a predefined value. 
    so, on to the question:
    Is there some way to make a glowing icon that does not involve what is essentially a flipbook?  I have messed around with "changeImageIntensity" and "changeImageChannelIntensity" in the py scripts, but either
    they don't do what I think they do or I am using them wrong.
    I suppose I could just load one image and the use python to fuck with its properties in realtime and then moveImage each modified image as it gets spit out, but I'm not familiar enough with python or png internals to even know if that's possible. 

Any help/direction would be helpful.

Thanks,
    p  

• Wilfried Huss

Wilfried Huss - 2003-05-16

the ratio paramater for changeImageIntensity and
      changeImageChannelIntensity should lie between
      -1 and 1. If it is < 0 then the image shcould become
      darker, otherwise it should become lighter.

The last parameter (millisec) is optional, if it is 0 or not
      present, the effect will stay until you manually remove it.
      If it is > 0 then the effect lasts for the given time in milliseconds and is automatically removed otherwise.

What exactly is not working?