How to make Superkaramba work?

Help
dimi kay
2008-07-13
2013-04-16
  • dimi kay

dimi kay - 2008-07-13

Just as a preface, I'm new to Linux.

It took me a while to even find it after installing it (for whatever reason, it doesn't show up in the applications). Now that i've got it, I have no idea how to make it work. I click "get new stuff," pick the thing I want, hit install, it tells me its installed. Great, then I exit out of that and back to the main Superkaramba window, and nothings different. I click "add local theme" and I have no idea what to look for or where to look for it.

How do I use the themes I download?

• Erik Elsom

Erik Elsom - 2008-07-13

You may have already done this, but, from the main SK window that lists all the themes you've installed, are you selecting (highlighting) the theme you want then clicking the "Add to Destop" button? That's when they actually get applied to your desktop.
      That newly selected theme will now say "1 Running" below it's icon from the SK window.

If a theme is acutally running and you still don't see it: Are you running a desktop rendering app, such as Compiz or Beryl?

• dimi kay

dimi kay - 2008-07-13

Well the problem is that the themes never show up on the main SK window. I click "install" on the themes I want, and they say installed, but they never show up in that main window.  :(

• dimi kay

dimi kay - 2008-07-13

Oh, so it turns out only the themes I actually want don't work :{ Like Liquid Weather

• Erik Elsom

Erik Elsom - 2008-07-13

Ah! Liquid Weather! Do you happen to know which version of Liquid Weather? I have more problems with that theme than any other. Sometimes it will completely lock up SK and cause enough runaway threads to max out my cpu until I notice it and kill it. I use it still, but with caution.

Question. If you're using KDE4, why aren't you just using plasmoids? They're much better, imo.

• dimi kay

dimi kay - 2008-07-13

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll give that a try!

• Erik Elsom

Erik Elsom - 2008-07-13

K. Here is a site with some good plasmoids and other stuff.  www.kde-look.org

• dimi kay

dimi kay - 2008-07-13

Thanks! After some research and tries, i've realized I don't know how to install plasmoids or how to make them work... :\