HELP ON GNOME!

Help
cookieman
2006-08-22
2013-04-16
  • cookieman

cookieman - 2006-08-22

hey...
    can anyone tell me how to use superkaramba on gnome? whenever i start any widget, it appears on the desktop, but there is no widget, it takes on the appearance of the desktop wallpaper... then i cant use it or anything! what do i modify to make it work in gnome?
    please help
    thanks
    cookieman

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-08-22

SK is a KDE program not a GNOME one. It will not work. The documents and website explictly explain this.

• megadave2002

megadave2002 - 2006-09-12

Isn't there a list of kde libraries that can be installed in gnome to make it work? I really want to run superkaramba but installing a full instance of KDE on my ubuntu box crashed my Xgl/Compiz desktop.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-09-12

Well lets see here..... SK runs in the KDE desktop therefor your question has been answered. *again*

In short *again* the answer is *no*

• megadave2002

In the documentation you refer to it also says "In Gnome there is a known issue that themes will have a black background even when a wallpaper is set."
      http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdeutils/superkaramba/superkaramba.pdf#search=%22superkaramba%20gnome%22
      So obviously it can run in gnome, maybe not perfectly but there is a way.

Thanks for your *help*

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-09-12

Glad that you can *read* as well.

• Ryan Nickell

Ryan Nickell - 2006-09-13

Please let me chime in here. ;)

You can run it in Gnome, but with limited success.  Dependencies are things like dcop, kdesktop for the wallpaper-pseudo-tranparency (which is why the theme may appear black) and other system wide KDE resources, like ktempfiles and khotnewstuff.  Your mileage may vary with your use and I've personally not ran it on Gnome in a _very_ long time.  We did make a decision about 1.5 years ago to pick a direction to go with SuperKaramba.  Instead of supporting everything under the sun, we chose to become part of KDE.  That decision improved it for some and left others with a choice they may/may not like to make.

So, if you get things running or have interest in supporting other platforms, I'd like to hear about it or merge efforts.

Feel free to drop into irc sometime as well.
        irc.freenode.net #superkaramba

You can find me as p0z3r. ;)
        cheers,
        -Ryan

• megadave2002

I am able to *read* very well. For instance I read this: "The use of SuperKaramba is not limited to KDE, but certain libraries from KDE are required. SuperKaramba is included in KDE 3.5." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperKaramba

So I, just like the other guy want to find out what 'certain libraries' are required. Is this not the right place to find that information?

• Garbalen

Garbalen - 2007-03-21

Okay, I have it running on Ubuntu Edgy with limited success. When I run a program (mostly liquid weather++) it fails to appear properly. If you right click on it and select update a few times it usually catches back up. I'm still getting notorious black background. The main failing I'm having with it, other than that, is that it never seems to update without intervention. Weather is fine to manually update every couple hours, but it renders system monitors useless.

Another thing you will need with the weather program is python QT. Open Synaptic package manager and search for "pyqt". I installed version 4 with no success. After going back and installing 3 I was finally able to get it to load.

And a lot of times when I run a widget I can't see where it is. I just drag SuperK window around the screen and it will leave trails on the box so I can find and update it.

Anyone with more success than that I would like to hear how you did it. Especially how to get it to properly update.

• Garbalen

Garbalen - 2007-03-21

Another thing... If you get as far as I did, change the text color to white so it will show up on the black background with Liquid weather++

• revertex

revertex - 2008-01-11

it seems nobody was a recipe to run superkaramba in gnome, but it's dead simple.

the most important thing that superkaramba needs to run under gnome is kdesktop.

you can't run kdesktop in gnome without replace nautilus-desktop, but again it's simple.

there is lot's of howtos about run openbox in gnome, the principle is the same, just replace openbox by kdesktop.

the bad thing is that you will lost the ability to use desktop icons, but it's not a big issue, you can replace then by superkaramba widgets.

actually im running openbox session with compiz/emerald, kdesktop, d-bus, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-volume-manager, gnome-panel and a few superkaramba widgets, including liquid weather.

• wirr

wirr - 2008-01-12

Thanks for reporting this. It would be great if you could put a more detailed description how to run SK in GNOME into our FAW section at http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/SuperKaramba/FAQ

Thanks in advance!