Change Port Descriptions

Help
Basty
2013-10-04
2014-06-04
  • Basty

Basty - 2013-10-04

Hi,

I've set up netdb, got vlan changing working but I was wondering how do I set up changing of port descriptions? I added desc_change to the list of allowed features. The pencil appears on the web interface but when I try and change I get a script error. I assume I need to point to some script but am unsure what to do.

Thanks

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2013-10-04

Hey,

In your /etc/netdb-cgi.conf make sure this is uncommented:

desc_script = /opt/netdb/vlanchange.pl -ds

Then if you're still having problems, try running the script from the command line like this and post back the results:

/opt/netdb/vlanchange.pl -ds switch,port,"description" -v

Jonathan

• Basty

Basty - 2013-10-04

That wasn't in the config file, so I added. When I change the description via the webinterface it works but this is the message it gives back:

Description Change Failed

Successfully changed lal-sw-d-79 Gi1/0/1 description to TESTING.

Why is it saying it failed when it hasn't?

• Jonathan Yantis

Looks like I had a glitch in the error reporting. If you're on v1.12 and do an SVN update it should clear up that error but otherwise sounds like everything is working correctly.

• Basty

Basty - 2013-10-04

Ah great. I'm currently running NetDB v1.11 ill see if I can upgrade.

• Jonathan Yantis

Sounds good, I just pushed out 1.12 this week so let me know if you run in to any issues with the instructions or anything. There's a few other people on it already though and the changes weren't too major, though be aware you'll need to install a new Ubuntu package and run the database upgrade script.

Jonathan

• Basty

Basty - 2013-10-04

Upgrading is not really in the best interest for me as I've modded it quite a bit. Are you able to tell me when code you changed to fix the description report error and I can just update that code please?

• Jonathan Yantis

Sure,

In netdb.cgi.pl under the changeDesc sub, change:

if ( $line =~ /Camtrace success/ ) {

to
    if ( $line =~ /Successfully/ ) {

That should do it.

Also if you have any good mods you think should be rolled back in to the mainline code send them over.

Jonathan

• nasmith

nasmith - 2014-06-04

I am on 1.12.3 and still get failed description change even though it is successful...

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2014-06-04

Thanks I thought it was fixed but I'll have to try and reproduce it on my end with the script.