Menu

Web interface login credentials

Help
eric scott
2015-07-28
2018-09-21
  • eric scott

eric scott - 2015-07-28

Hey I am having trouble logging into the web interface. It prompts me for a username/password but I'm not sure where those credentials are kept. I looked in netdb-cgi.conf and was still unsure what to do. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2015-07-28

Hey, there should be a VMWARE-README in the netdbadmin home directory on
      this. By default it's configured to use an apache password file,
      /etc/apache2/netdb.passwd. Any apache method should work if you need to
      change to LDAP etc, just follow the apache instructions for the auth module
      you need.

• Change the local web password

sudo htpasswd /etc/apache2/netdb.passwd netdb

Jonathan

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 10:28 AM, eric scott enscott1@users.sf.net wrote:

Hey I am having trouble logging into the web interface. It prompts me for
      a username/password but I'm not sure where those credentials are kept. I
      looked in netdb-cgi.conf and was still unsure what to do. Any info would be
      greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Web interface login credentials
      https://sourceforge.net/p/netdbtracking/discussion/939989/thread/51cc5040/?limit=25#007a

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
      https://sourceforge.net/p/netdbtracking/discussion/939989/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Jon D. Irish

Jon D. Irish - 2016-02-16

Jonathan,
        I changed the password for the netdb account as described above. I can now authenticate to the server (using the netdb account), but I am getting this permissions error: "You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/netdb.pl on this server."

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2016-02-17

Jon,

Did you restart Apache? Check the error logs in /var/log/apache2/error.log. This should be related to Apache local authentication using that password file. Perhaps the old password still works? I'd try to restart the service first if you haven't.

Jonathan

• Jon D. Irish

Jon D. Irish - 2016-02-17

Jonathan,
            I have found the problem (in general). When I first started the appliance, ubuntu asked me to upgrade to the latest version, so I did. I have recreated the appliance three times trying new steps in setting up the appliance. This last time, I did NOT upgrade Ubuntu, and everything is working fine now. Thus, it appears that something in the Ubuntu upgrade is breaking netdb.

Jon

• eric scott

eric scott - 2015-07-29

Thank you for the reply. My problem has been resolved.

• TYT

TYT - 2016-12-15

Hi,

I am very new to ubuntu and netdb. I have downloaded the vm version and later upgraded to ubuntu 14. When i tried to https://netdb-ip, I have also get the same error You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/netdb.pl on this server.

Checking the apache2 logs, there was a symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/netdb.pl.

Also, how can i upgrade to the latest version of netdb?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

• milo hofman

milo hofman - 2018-09-20

hi, i have this error, i have debian 9/apache2, i install step by step from /opt/netdb/INSTALL.

https://10.201.x.x/cgi-bin/netdb.pl
    Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/netdb.pl on this server.
    Apache/2.4.25 (Debian) Server at xx.xx.xx.xx Port 443

I can not fix it and I try to do htpasswd /etc/apache2/netdb.passwd netdb but it still gives me error.
    The user is netdb yes or yes? or can I have another usr?

HELPPPPPMEE

• Eric

Eric - 2018-09-20

Milo, Did you already look at the issue TYT mentioned above your post:

"Checking the apache2 logs, there was a symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /usr/lib/cgi-bin/netdb.pl."

That would be my guess based on the info you provided.

• milo hofman

milo hofman - 2018-09-21

yes, that is the error in the apache2 log, I have already tried to change the password, the permissions in the symbolic links is the same as netdb in the vm-ware. I can not solve it!

• Eric

Eric - 2018-09-21

I don't have a debian system or the vmware vm to look at but it sounds like basic web file ownership and permission issues. It is probably not related to the password you created or you logging into the web interface (you can always disable the apache authentication to test that). It sounds like the web server does not have permission to read the cgi-bin file. I would start with the basics like; what is the apache2 user in /etc/passwd? is that user the owner of the link you mentioned above? does that user have access to the file the link points to and to the directory the file is in? etc.

• milo hofman

milo hofman - 2018-09-21

Thank you for the reply. My problem has been resolved.! it was permissions in /cgi-bin/ files by chown.