Menu

How to install Netdb version 1.9.2 on CentOS

2012-02-18
2022-10-28
  • cciesec2012xx

cciesec2012xx - 2012-02-18

First of all, I think this is a great product.  I would like to setup a netdb system in my enterprise environment.  I am  familiar with Linux especially with CentOS but I am not sure how to go about doing this.  The INSTALL document, IMHO, is written for someone who know the in and out of Linux very well not the average Joe.

Is anyone has a detailed documentation on how to install netdb version 1.9.x for the average Joe?  obviously a script to automate this install would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2012-02-20

Hey,

I completely agree packaging would be nice to have for this program and I've looked in to it, but given the current Perl dependencies from CPAN and the complexities of managing packages for multiple Linux distributions, I simply don't have the time or resources right now to devote to that level of support.  I've had others looking for VMWare appliance versions etc, and while all of that would be great for users no doubt, it requires a high level of testing and support on my end I just can't provide right now (any help would be appreciated).

An install script would be nice without nearly as much work, and I've considered creating one for Debian and Ubuntu systems.  I'll see if I can come up with a basic installer for v1.10 which will be out before too long.  I don't have a lot of experience with CentOS/RH, but I know it works fine on those systems if you're able to follow the instructions.

This is one of those projects that I released to the public because too many people asked me for copies, but it was originally written for my employer as an internal project.  I like that others are benefitting from it, but I just don't have time to take it to the next level right now.  Once I get ahead of some of my other projects I'll take another look and see if I can offer a higher level of support.  If I do decide to package it, it will likely be on Debian and Ubuntu systems which I'm familiar with.

Sorry for the install difficulties, you might want to check out mactrack for Cacti or switchmap as an alternative.

Jonathan

• Badtourist

Badtourist - 2022-10-28

I was wondering if you have an alternative to storing clear text passwords in netdb.conf file. In todays infrastructure its not idea? Possibly leveraging TACACS auth or a way to encrypt local accounts? Any ideas?

• Jonathan Yantis

Jonathan Yantis - 2012-05-17

FYI, I added an Ubuntu VM Image to the VMWare folder.  You'll still need some linux administration skills to handle updates, but it should be simpler to get going now if you want to go the VM route.

Jonathan