1.53 - doesn't compile with kernel 2.6.27

Help
kayman04
2008-10-11
2012-10-06
  • kayman04

kayman04 - 2008-10-11

Compile fails using ndiswrapper 1.53 (and 1.51) with kernel 2.6.27 (vanilla - from kernel.org). See output below.

My current working version is 1.51 with kernel 2.6.24.7, it compiles with no errors.

Output of the 1.53 compile:

make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.27 M=/user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver
    make[1]: Entering directory /usr/src/linux-2.6.27' CC [M] /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c: In function 'ndis_translate_scan': /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1037: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1047: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1053: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1064: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1079: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_event' makes pointer from integer without a cast /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1093: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_event' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1104: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_value' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_value' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: warning: passing argument 5 of 'iwe_stream_add_value' makes pointer from integer without a cast /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1120: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_value' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1131: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1137: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point' /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 1 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 3 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: warning: passing argument 4 of 'iwe_stream_add_point' from incompatible pointer type /user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.c:1159: error: too few arguments to function 'iwe_stream_add_point' make[2]: *** [/user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver/iw_ndis.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [_module_/user_local/downloads/ndiswrapper-1.53/driver] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory/usr/src/linux-2.6.27'
    make: *** [modules] Error 2

• Russ

Russ - 2008-11-08

Well, what I did on October 20 didn't work. I think I got the SDM trunk and ndis6wrapper mixed up. I punted (throw-in) and re-untarballed 1.53, downloaded the whole SDM "driver" directory and re-installed. This time successfully. I am now happily wirelessing with kernel 2.6.26.6-49.fc8. Yay! Mad skilz, I tell you, mad skilz! Mad props to the developers, whom I think were thrown a bad deal by Linus and company, for coming through with a fix. I hope you can find it in yourselves to continue to develop this amazing software. Thank you.

Russ

• Robert Raitz

Robert Raitz - 2008-10-11

Forgive the "me too", but I am also having the same problem. I am just adding my name so I can see what the fix is for this problem...if any exist.

• kayman04

kayman04 - 2008-10-12

I'm not sure this project is active anymore. Last activity was May 2008. It used to be pretty active so 5 months without any updates makes me wonder.

• kayman04

kayman04 - 2008-10-13

This issue is fixed in SVN. It was posted to the mailing list which I hadn't seen when I first posted.
      So for anyone reading this, go grab the latest version from SVN.

• Russ

Russ - 2008-10-19

Is it possible to get a little assistance on the use of the SVN files for this project? For instance, what do I download to fix the compile for kernel versions later than 2.6.25?

Thanks,

Russ

• Russ

Russ - 2008-10-20

All right, after a little poking around in the SVN, it appears that iw_ndis.c and Makefile were modified after the 1.53 release so I'm guessing that if I download those two and proceed as normal, I'll be able to use ndiswrapper with > 2.6.25 kernels. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Russ

• kayman04

kayman04 - 2008-10-21

Russ,

That should work since iw_ndis.c was the only code that was affected. For me, I just grabbed everything for 1.53 as I was using a really old version.

FWIW, I am now using the latest stable kernel 2.6.27.2 and it works like a charm.

Good luck ...

• Russ

Russ - 2008-10-21

Kayman04, thanks for the hand. Once, long ago and far away I was a programmer so I dusted off my skills and gave it a look. I'll try the new modules later this week. I am sooo glad the documentation has moved to the new web page also. :(

• kiesel-the-boon

kiesel-the-boon - 2008-10-29

some little workaround for 2.6.27.4
      open ndiswrapper-src/driver/iw_ndis.c and add/change a few entrys
      it musst be look at the follow
      compare my post with the org file and see the little different

only missing -> struct iw_request_info *info
      and some -> info

i hope it help'S you too
      good luck
      info from kernel.org

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.27.y.git;a=commit;h=ccc580571cf0799d0460a085a7632b77753f083e

detail:
      line 1018
      static char ndis_translate_scan(struct net_device dev,
      struct iw_request_info info,
      char
      event,
      char end_buf, void item)

line 1039
      event = iwe_stream_add_event(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, IW_EV_ADDR_LEN);

line 1049 and 1106
      event = iwe_stream_add_point(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, bssid->ssid.essid);

line 1055
      event = iwe_stream_add_event(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, IW_EV_CHAR_LEN);

line 1066
      event = iwe_stream_add_event(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, IW_EV_UINT_LEN);

line 1081
      event = iwe_stream_add_event(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, IW_EV_FREQ_LEN);

line 1095
      event = iwe_stream_add_event(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, IW_EV_QUAL_LEN);

line 1120
      current_val = iwe_stream_add_value(info, event, current_val,

line 1133 and 1139
      event = iwe_stream_add_point(info, event, end_buf, &iwe, buf);