Intel 2200bg -- works for a few.. and crash!

Help
2004-11-15
2012-10-06
  • Barak Naveh

Barak Naveh - 2004-11-15

Hi,

I have a strange problem. The ndiswrapper get my 2200bg to work for a few minutes, and then the kernel crashes.

I installed NLD9 (Novel Linux Desktop 9, which is based on SuSE 9) on a Fujitsu Lifebook S6210. Things seem to work well, with the exception of the wireless stuff; the system did not detect my 2200bg.

I don't want to use the http://pw2200.sf.net driver because it requires updating the firmware. It's a dual WinXP/Linux machine and I don't want to do anything that can wreck the WinXP side.

I tried using the ndiswrapper with the WinXP drivers provided by the manufacturer, then tried both Intel's original distributions. None work. Some crash after a few seconds, some after a few minutes.

NLD9 is based on kernel 2.6.5-5.111. I'm using ndiswrapper 0.11.

Any save?

Thanks,
    Barak

• Alexandre Buisse

I've got almost exactly the same problem.

I have an Intel 2200BG card on my brand new Thinkpad T42 and ndiswraper keeps freezing the whole computer after a few minutes. I have to hard reboot as even keyboard and mouse are lost. /var/log/messages and dmesg show absolutely nothing, even with "make debug=3".

I use kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-dev with the 16K patch from linuxant, drivers both from IBM and Intel in v8.x (named w22n51) have the same behaviour. I tried the new one, w29n51 (v9.0.1.0) but ndiswrapper says "unable to load driver" at modprobe time. I tried ndiswrapper 0.11, 0.12, CVS and older versions.

Native Linux drivers (ipw2200) don't work better, for I use Ad-Hoc mode.

I can attach much debugging information or file a bug if needed.

Thanks for help

• Jeremiah

Jeremiah - 2004-12-19

Same Problem here with WUSB54G. Internet works fine for about 5 minutes and then I get a kernel cannot sync error and a hard lock. I read some other forums and decided to try CVS. With CVS there's even a worse problem. After I install the driver I do a "modprobe ndiswrapper" and it locks. So I guess I have to continue to use the laptop as a wireless card with a crossover cable.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks