ndiswrapper + belkin F5D7010, out of ideas

2005-02-22
2012-10-06
  • languishinghack

languishinghack - 2005-02-22

I'm trying to get my belkin F5D7010 wireless g pcmcia adapter working on my Vaio pcg-xg9 laptop, and i've gotten to the point where i've run out of ideas and even google can't seem to help, hence i'm begging for help here.

I started by installing Ubuntu off a livecd, and that went fairly well. Then I used a few cd-r's to transfer enough .debs and .tar.gz's to compile a 2.6.10 vanilla kernel and reboot into it. After a few screaming matches at make, i got ndiswrapper-0.12 compiled and working (seemingly).

so here's the output of some commands and hopefully you will see my problem:

root@Loki:~ # ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5a driver present, hardware present
    root@Loki:~ # cardctl status
    Socket 0:
    3.3V CardBus card
    function 0: [ready]
    Socket 1:
    no card
    root@Loki:~ # lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper 106772 0
    root@Loki:~ # cat /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
    alias wlan0 ndiswrapper
    root@Loki:~ # iwconfig wlan0
    wlan0 No such device

sorry if that's too short to do a full diagnostic, but as i don't have internet on that machine yet, i had to type everything out by hand. If it helps, the LED's on the card are faintly glowing (not full brightness, just very faint).

It seems like the driver is loaded, and ndiswrapper sees my card and everything, but neither ifconfig nor iwconfig see wlan0 (or anything other than lo for that matter).

If you can help, please do, I really have no idea where to go from here, and my experience w/ pcmcia is next to none

• Lance Zane

Lance Zane - 2005-02-22

I got this working on my Gateway Solo 9500 w/ Fedora Core 3. I had to use the Dell drivers instead of the ones off the cd though.

• languishinghack

languishinghack - 2005-02-22

Ok, i finally got it working here's what I did:

Downloaded the R81433 driver (I believe this is the dell one, though I tried so many I've lost track) and used the bcmwl5a.inf driver in the AR/ directory.

Here's the part that made everything work...

rm /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper
      rmmod ndiswrapper
      modprobe ndiswrapper

seems that the alias which ndiswrapper -m adds messes up the way the module is treated by iwconfig (this is my guess), and reloading the module without the alias was enough to get iwconfig to catch on.

my download speeds (over a cable modem -> linux box as router -> wireless AP) are around 400-500kB/s, which i think is rather nice considering

• Greg

Greg - 2005-02-23

Hmm, thats cool, you got farther then me howder, im using the PCI equivilent to this device, and it doesn't even register the driver.... kinda sad(emotionally)

What confuses me is on my Belkin CD there is no bcmwl5a.inf file... did that come on the CD or from Dell?