Computing anomalies with big files and NCBO

2012-11-27
2013-10-17
  • Richard P Signell

I've got a 94GB file that I'd like to compute anomalies for.  I've successfully computed the mean using "ncra" but when I try to run "ncbo", I get:

ncbo: ERROR nco_malloc() unable to allocate 10952873100 bytes
    ncbo: INFO NCO has reported a malloc() failure. malloc() failures usually indicate that your machine does not have enough free memory (RAM+swap) to perform the requested operation. As such, malloc() failures result from the physical limitations imposed by your hardware. Read http://nco.sf.net/nco.html#mmr for a description of NCO memory usage. There are two workarounds in this scenario. One is to process your data in smaller chunks. The other is to use a machine with more free memory.

I take it there is no way to tell ncbo to process the input file one record at a time, right?  (it has an unlimited time dimension). 

So is the only way to physically split the input netcdf file into multiple netcdf files? (I can't move to another machine with more memory - I've got 396 of these 94GB files to process!)

Thanks,
    Rich

• Charlie Zender

Charlie Zender - 2012-11-27

> I take it there is no way to tell ncbo to process the input file one record at a time, right?

right, unfortunately.

> So is the only way to physically split the input netcdf file into multiple netcdf files?

that's the kludgiest way. a slight more sophisticated (and disk friendly) way is to access smaller chunks from the files you have. i.e., use ncbo -d time,0,10 in.nc obs.nc diff.nc;ncbo -d time 11,20 in.nc obs.nc diff.nc;…
    so you write a shell script to loop over time and complete the differencing in place, then use ncrcat to glue the results together.
    hth,
    c

• Charlie Zender

Charlie Zender - 2012-11-27

to be more clear, the script should call NCO something like this…
    ncbo -d time,0,10 in.nc obs.nc diff1.nc
    ncbo -d time 11,20 in.nc obs.nc diff2.nc;

ncbo -d time 91,100 in.nc obs.nc diff10.nc;
    ncrcat diff*.nc diff.nc