# ncid-applet README
# Last modified Fri Mar 5, 2010
The NCID applet requires gnocl >= 0.94.
You can get the latest version from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnocl/
- Obtain gnocl-0.9.94e.tar.gz and untar the file:
tar -xzvf gnocl-0.9.94e.tar.gz
- cd to the src directory:
- If you are installing a 32 bit version, you can install the libraries
./install.tcl 0.9.94e install
(you can also remove the libraries: ./install.tcl 0.9.94e uninstall)
- if you have a 64 bit system, you need to:
patch -b -p0 < gnocl-0.9.94e.patch
make clean gnocl gconf gnome
- if you want to install all the libraries
make clean all
(if the make fails, install missing packages)
Install applet for first time:
Remove applet preferences:
Start the NCID Applet normal way by using "Add to Panel". If you do
not see it as one of the applets you can install, you could log out
and then login again, but it is easier to open a terminal window and
run "ncid-applet" Terminate it with <ctrl><c>. This will make the applet
appear in ""Add to Panel" the next time you open it.
When ncid-applet is added to the panel for the first time, it will bring up
Preferences to configure it. Make sure the host address is set properly.
The default host address is 127.0.0.1 When you have reviewed all the
preferences, press "Save" to remember the configuration. The applet
will then start and display the server message.
The saved preferences can be viewed by using gconftool2:
gconftool-2 -R /apps/panel/applets/ncid
If the preferences were not saved, nothing is listed.
The gnocl libraries have some problems that can cause a Bonobo-WARNING
message when you right click on the running applet, and can cause a
segmentation fault when you use "Remove from Panel"
Here is an overview of the display and menu items:
- A server message is displayed in blue on startup
- A active call is displayed in blue and red on a yellow background
- A pop up window is displayed for 5 seconds when a call is received.
The display time can be from 1 second to 10 seconds.
- The history is obtained from the server at startup and retained.
- If no telephone line labels are configured, it displays <POTS>
- A new call is added to the history file.
- If the call history window is cleared, only new calls will be displayed.
A reconnect will redisplay the server history file.
- When a preference is changed it takes effect immediately, but changes
are not remembered when the applet is restarted.
- When Save is pressed, all preferences are saved in the Gnome database
and will be remembered when the applet is restarted.
- General Tab:
* Select Name and Number, Name, or Number to display on call
The default is to display name and number.
* Select the number format for the United States or Sweden.
The default is for the United States.
The US number format can also include the leading '1'.
The default is not to include the '1'.
* A call pup-up image can be enabled as a call indicator
in addition to the display background color change.
The default is to enable the pop-up
The pop up image display time is set at 5 seconds. It can
range from 1 second to 10 seconds. The default is 5.
* Configure client to keep trying on a failed connection.
This is the default.
The Reconnect Delay can change from 0 to 120 seconds. The
applet will keep trying to make a connection every 1 - 120
seconds. The default is 60 seconds.
* Configure client to display "Phone Call" when the modem
indicated RING. This is only used for modems that do not
support Caller ID. This is only supported by modems that
indicate RING. It is not supported by Gateways.
- Network Tab:
* Configure the server IP address. The default is 127.0.0.1
* Configure the server port. The default is 3333.
* Connect to the server using the IP address and port.
- URL button will bring up firefox and go to the NCID home page