suddenly HANGUP not working in daemon mode

Help
eikaff
2015-07-30
2015-08-03
  • eikaff

eikaff - 2015-07-30

Hello friends,
    Some days ago i noticed this issue and i'm not able to solve it cause i can't understand where the problem is.
    When i use NCIDD in debug mode -Dv3 all is working like a charm, but as soon as i execute it in background or autostart at boot, the hangup function stops working and phone continues to ring, even if NCID is detecting blacklisted number and sets the flag to HUP.

Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Thank a lot.

p.s.: Also minicom the manual commands ATH1 and ATH0 are working normally.

Last edit: eikaff 2015-07-30
  • John L. Chmielewski

I noticed this problem on a few calls and switched to a manual hangup (picking up the phone waiting about 2 seconds and then hanging up) to try to determine the cause. I found a number that did not hangup, but resumed ringing after the phone went on hook.

You did not indicate which OS, which NCID release, and which hangup mode you are using, but I am going to assume a normal hangup. If you switch to the FAX hangup mode, it should fix the problem. FAX mode has a long delay off hook for the FAX tones generated.

A normal hangup has a 1 second off hook delay so the telco notices that you picked up the phone. I think the next release will increase this time to 3, maybe more, seconds.

You can experiment by getting the source and changing this line in nciddhangup.h:
    #define HANGUPDELAY 1 / second /

If you experiment let me know which delay works for you.

• eikaff

eikaff - 2015-07-30

noticed that the problem occurs with unconventional numbers usually, like XXX-XXXXXXX, with 10 position length, with 9 position number it is working normally. Probably that's the problem.

edit: I'm running on linux OS Raspbian, latest updated release. As stated above i think to have understood from what it depends.

Last edit: eikaff 2015-07-30
  • Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2015-07-30

Hi eikaff,

Can you clarify -- since you now suspect it has to do with the number of digits, does a 10 digit number fail when running ncidd in debug mode (-Dv3)?

• eikaff

eikaff - 2015-07-31

Hi Todd,

That's exactly what i meant, sorry for my bad explaination, after my first post i tested more and it seems that the problem depends on the number of digits. With 10 digits numbers it does not hangup.

Last edit: eikaff 2015-07-31
  • nospam

nospam - 2015-07-31

I have the same problem on ncidd raspi. It didn't work, then suddenly started working. After rebuilding and reinstalling on a new raspi image hangup no longer works. I dont have a clue why.

• John L. Chmielewski

eikaff,

After reading the above, I am still not clear on which hangup mode you are using. I am assuming hangup mode 1 (set hangup = 1). If so, did you try hangup mode 2? I would really like to know if hangup mode 2 works for your calls where hangup mode 1 failed. Hangup mode 2 requires a NCID compatible FAX modem to work.

In my testing, problem numbers require a long time off hook for hangup to work. All hangup modes work by going offhook, delaying for a set time period, then going back onhook.

Last edit: John L. Chmielewski 2015-08-01
  • eikaff

eikaff - 2015-08-01

I'll make some more tests with mode 2 and i will report back,yes i am using mode 1

• eikaff

eikaff - 2015-08-03

Ok after some more test i can confirm the issue. With 10 digits numbers hang up is not working when in daemon mode, either in mode 1 and mode 2. Actually in debug mode "-Dv3" the software is working normally(mode 1 and 2 work as expected), so i can't debug. That's so strange. Probably i'm missing something.

Last edit: eikaff 2015-08-03
  • John L. Chmielewski

Very strange. Your normal log is at verbose = 1. Maybe you can set it to verbose = 3 in ncid.conf and check if ncidd works or not. You should get the same output you would get using "-Dv3", only it will be in /var/log/ncidd.log.

Last edit: John L. Chmielewski 2015-08-03