Menu

Ringer options in NCID

Help
2020-09-05
2020-09-07
  • coolusername

coolusername - 2020-09-05

Hello I am making a little one-off Call Blocking Device based around NCID on a Raspberry PI. I'm so tired of robocalls to my landline.

It currently works fine as is except for one thing -- the first ring is still audible. I've read that is due to the Caller ID data being sent between the first and second rings.

So my question is, Does NCID have a way pre built to make it's own ringtone? That way I could set the ringer on the phone off/silence and just have NCID ring after it has determined if the call should pass (based on my current rules/filters).

Also this would be better if it can work this way instead of picking up and hanging up the call. I think hangups might log the number on the telemarketers end as active or one to call again? That part is purely speculation though. But I'd rather it not pickup at all or ring at all if it that number is on my blacklist.

Just wondering if this is possible with NCID as is or if I need to try to hunt or develop another resource.

Thank you

• Ed Attfield

Ed Attfield - 2020-09-05

I don't think this has been done before.

The first thing you need is a noise maker for your raspberry Pi. The Pi can't run an inductive load like a speaker directly, so you may need some extra circuitry.

For the software side, the ncidd server sends CIDINFO lines to clients each time the phone rings. You would need a small client, written in python perhaps, to drive the noise maker on some of the CIDINFO messages.

• Ed Attfield

Ed Attfield - 2020-09-05

I'm wrong, the rPi has an audio jack for headphones or powered speakers.

• coolusername

coolusername - 2020-09-07

Thank you for the information. I'll look into that further.