Help
NDC
2005-04-24
2012-09-29
  • NDC

NDC - 2005-04-24

Hi,

I have 1 problem, 1 question.

Problem: ncidd logs to /var/log/cidcall.log sometimes, but mostly not. I double checked my config is the one being used at ncidd startup, only one ncidd, log file points to the correct place, logrotate rotates the log (obviously -f when log 0 byte). Even made log world writeable at one time. If I run ncidd -Dv, rings show, formatted cid info displays on console. I'm stumped.

Question: I have a few lines. How about a multi-port daemon, and a client to match?

Thanks!

• John L. Chmielewski

Whenever ncidd receives Caller ID information, it writes to the logfile, unless it does not exist or it does not have permission. The Caller ID information comes from the phone company between the first and second ring. If you pick up the phone before the complete information is received, nothing will be displayed or written to the logfile. This may be your problem.

When you run "ncidd -Dv", ncidd will not log to the logfile unless you run it as root or you adjust the logfile permissions so you can write to it. If you run it as "ncidd -Dvv" instead, it will tell you if it can not write to a logfile.
      Since logfiles are optional, the first "-v" ignores them.

Your feature request for a multi-port daemon is on the TODO list, but probably will not happen for a couple or releases.

• NDC

NDC - 2005-04-30

Thanks for the response. Perhaps in my attempts to be brief, I sounded as if I didn't know how caller id works, or that I didn't understand permissions, or that I didn't already read all of the readme, man, and install files. I apologize for this.

I have tried all of the permissions, I don't grab the phone before the telco sends the info. In fact, if I call myself a half-dozen times and not answer the phone at all, the cidcall.log file will only be written to a few of the times. I've tried different modems, different manufacturers, and did change the cid string. I'm certain this is caused by something else on my system, I was looking for known issues, or perhaps someone having a similar issue so that I could fix my equipment. If I find the problem, I will follow up with a post.

NCID works, and works correctly on other boxes.

I'm really anxious for the multi-line capability.

Best regards, thanks for your work.

Jim

• NDC

NDC - 2005-05-04

I still have a zero-byte cidcall.log, however, the cidmodem.log does have cid info in it. If the cidmodem.log has data, where could I look for the cause of the cidcall.log not filling up? I again checked the config file to be sure I didn't point it away from /var/log/cidcall.log. I also tried this on another box, both running Fedora Core 3. I MUST be doing something wrong, overlooking something. I'm sure it's not perms, I ran ncidd as root - so I don't think it's uid or gid. I think it's going to be very simple, and I'll be embarassed (I own a network design/consulting company). C'mon John, I just can't move on with my life without my caller id. :)

Thanks

Jim

• John L. Chmielewski

This is interesting. The cidmodem.log file is the output from the modem, the cidcall.log file is the output from ncidd. It takes the multi-line output from the modem and makes one line that is sent to the clients and put into the cidcall.log file.

Check the contents of cidmodem.log. If the format is wrong or garbage characters are in there, it may explain why cidcall.log is empty. Here is what is expected in the modem log (blank lines will also appear):
      RING
      DATE = 0511
      TIME = 1852
      NMBR = 4075550000
      NAME = WIRELESS CALL
      RING

If your modem outputs a different format, you need to configure it to output the above format.

NCIDD must see DATE, TIME, NMBR, and maybe NAME lines in order to send out a caller id line. Could be one or more of them is not there or messed up.

Some caller ID systems do not put out a NAME line, so ncidd will output without a NAME if it has the other three lines and then gets a RING line.

John

• NDC

NDC - 2005-05-15

Here's a cut from the cidmodem.log. The format is different, and I'm not sure what CID=O means.

Although I've tried other modems, I'm going to try the MT5600BA to see what difference there may be.

Thanks

RING
      DATE= 05/11
      TIME= 17:54
      CID= O
      NAME= 7175551212

RING

RING

• John L. Chmielewski

That is a very interesting output from the modem. It sent out a CID line in place of a NMBR line, and it gives a telephone number in the NAME line. Plus it formats the DATE and TIME lines.

The "O" is a common output for Caller ID, it means "OUT-OF-AREA". You will also see "A" for "ANONYMOUS" amd sometimes "P" for "PRIVATE".

The reason ncidd is not outputting anything is that it never sees the NMBR line, and it requires the DATE, TIME, NMBR, and NAME lines to know it has the complete Caller ID. I could modify ncidd to accept the CID line in place of the NMBR line, but your modem also puts out a telephone number for a NAME, and that seems wrong to me.

Check the modem configuration. The Caller ID output format is controlled by registers, and you usually have a choice. The format supported by ncidd is the default CID format, and as far as I know, is supported by all modems.
      If you do not have documentation on the modem, try to reset it to the factory defaults and see if the CID output format changes.

What kind of modem is it, and is there any on-line documentation for it?

If you try other modems, I'd be interested in seeing the cidmodem.log output. You can email me the results if you like.