Upgrade regret

Help
nospam
2020-06-01
2020-06-04
  • nospam

nospam - 2020-06-01

So I took the plunge and tried upgrading from ncidd 1.7 to 1.11 on my rpi

The problem I'm having is NCIDD appears to start then stop without any error messages. I am able to communicate with my modem via minicom.

Here is my log output
    $ /usr/sbin/ncidd -Dv5 -L /var/log/ncidd.log
    Started: 06/01/2020 12:26:30
    Server: ncidd (NCID) 1.11
    API: 1.10 Feature Set 1 2 3 4 5
    Sysname: Linux
    Nodename: Pi3SSD
    Machine: armv7l
    Release: 4.19.97-v7+
    Version: #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:15:58 GMT 2020
    Command line: /usr/sbin/ncidd
    -Dv5
    -L /var/log/ncidd.log
    Logfile: /var/log/ncidd.log
    Processed config file: /etc/ncid/ncidd.conf
    Verbose level: 5
    cidinput = 0
    sendinfo = 1
    Configured to send 'cidlog' to clients.
    Configured to send 'cidinfo' to clients.
    Helper tools:
    /usr/bin/cidupdate
    /usr/bin/ncidutil
    Using simple expressions for alias/blacklist/whitelist entries

Begin: Loading alias, blacklist and whitelist files [12:26:30]
    Processed alias file: /etc/ncid/ncidd.alias
    Alias Table:
    Number of Entries: 1376
    Processed blacklist file: /etc/ncid/ncidd.blacklist
    Blacklist Table:
    Number of Entries: 22
    Calls in the blacklist file will be terminated

Can anyone provide insight as to why it's not working?

• Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2020-06-01

Using a modem with ncidd usually requires root privileges.

There isn't enough info in the log snippet above. Where is it failing? Can you attach the complete log (vs. copying-and-pasting into a forum post)?

Edited for typo.

Last edit: Todd Andrews 2020-06-01
  • nospam

nospam - 2020-06-01

I am running with root. I finally found the problem but don't dnow why...

I was trying to use my old ncidd.blacklist and NCIDD just won't start or provide any error messages.

I had two lines

Add Expressions here

^SPAM
    ^1?876

Changing it to

Add Expressions here

^SPAM # 800 call
    ^1?876 # 800 call

Now works. I don't know if there are any hidden characters required in the file but if I delete the two tab characters before the comment it just never starts up. Frustrating not getting any kind of error message. I took a WAG and deleted the NCIDD.ALIAS and NCIDD.BLACKLIST files I had kept and did a complete reinstall

sudo dpkg -i --force-all ncid_1.11-1_armhf.deb

And it suddenly started working. As soon as I copied the last two lines of text into NCIDD.BLACKLIST using vi NCIDD magically stops working. My original NCIDD.ALIAS works no problem.

FYI here is what I am running it on
    uname -a
    Linux Pi3B+ 4.19.97-v7+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:15:58 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

I posted extra infor here in case someone else runs into the problem

• Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2020-06-04

$ /usr/sbin/ncidd -Dv5 -L /var/log/ncidd.log

The reason I thought you might not be running ncidd as root is because the shell prompt is showing as "$" (normal default for non-root users) instead of "#" (normal default for root, or su or sudo).

• Ed Attfield

Ed Attfield - 2020-06-01

There was a bug that showed up on a change to one of the ncidd.alias/blacklist/whitelist files. It's been fixed, but the fix may not have been released yet.

Anyway, with the bug, ncidd will fail if a line in one of those three files appears blank but has tabs or spaces.

• nospam

nospam - 2020-06-02

Up until now I have been running ncidd 1.7 which I configured to allow all calls EXCEPT for CID's listed in my alias file with the CID "SPAM". My blacklist only had one name in it "^SPAM". I set it up this way so I could block known SPAMMERS by dropping their calls after the first ring. CID's with blocked or missing numbers were given a recording that told callers to unblock their numbers in order to complete the call. All other CID's were allowed to complete.

Ncidd 1.11 appears to require that a CID/number exists in the whitelist in order to complete otherwise it gets blocked.

I want to allow all CID's unless I explicitly blacklist the caller number with the label SPAM.

Is it possible to still do this on ncidd 1.11?

BTW ncidd 1.11 is running a lot faster than 1.7 but this explicit whitelist requirement is a deal killer and I will either have to downgrade to make ncid useable. I have to allow all calls to complete by default.

Last edit: nospam 2020-06-02
  • Ed Attfield

Ed Attfield - 2020-06-02

There is no requirement for unknown callers to be in the whitelist.

The call comes in, aliases are applied, the result is checked against the whitelist, then against the blacklist, then the extension script (if any) is called.

I would like to see your entire ncidd.log file at verbose level 7, I'll send an email.