delay to hang up

Help
Druss67
2016-12-27
2017-01-13
  • Druss67

Druss67 - 2016-12-27

Hello all,

I am still very happy with this app, and there is something pleasurable to close the mouth of all the marketing pest.

Nethertheless, I have noticed that sometimes the phone rings one or two times before hanging up.
    Is it the case for you ?
    I have reduce the number of blacklisted entries, thinking it was a kind of latency of the raspberry pi.
    but this is always the case, strange...
    Is it the same for you ?

Best regards,
    Druss67

• Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2016-12-29

Hi Druss67,

It depends on the country. Here in the US the caller ID is sent between the first and second rings, which means even if a call is blacklisted, the phone will always ring at least once. Since you mentioned in another thread that you are using a Raspberry Pi, NCID user Alex came up with a cool hardware-based solution which he has thoroughly documented here.

If NCID is hanging up after the second ring, then your theory about some sort of latency would make sense, and this is something that should be relatively easy to prove. Some time ago we added timestamps for certain server activities. Stop NCID and restart from the command line using a verbose level of at least four:

sudo ncidd -Dv4

Watch what happens when a call comes in. The timestamps should allow you to identify if latency is a problem.

Here's an example from my Macintosh system:

DATE = 0905
    TIME = 1350
    NMBR = 5032199999
    NAME = OREGON
    received date, time, nmbr, name
    Begin: userAlias() [13:50:39]
    End: userAlias() [13:50:39]
    Begin: Search Whitelist file [13:50:39]
    End: Search Whitelist file [13:50:39]
    Checked Whitelist for match flag=0 ret=0 nmbrmatch=0
    Processing hangup request
    Begin: Search Blacklist file [13:50:39]
    End: Search Blacklist file [13:50:39]
    Checked Blacklist for match flag=0 ret=1 nmbrmatch=2
    Blacklist Match #2040: 5032199999    number: 503219999    name: OREGON

The timestamps are in the brackets in 24-hour format [hh:mm:ss].

From the above you can see that it took no more than a second (no timestamps higher than 13:50:39) to match against the 2040th phone number in the blacklist.

• Druss67

Druss67 - 2017-01-08

Hello Todd,

thank you for your feedbacks. I will try to investigate following your recommendations.
    I will come back to you for any clarification.

Thanks,
    Druss67

• Druss67

Druss67 - 2017-01-12

Hello,

I am back with some additional feedback.

I have tested an alternative solution to NCID called Callblocker
    I have tested it on the same hardware. the software is less userfriendly than NCID, but when you put a phone number in the blacklist, the phone never rings.

So, this is not a hardware issue, the raspberry is not overloaded.

Perhaps the way that the call is handled...

• John L. Chmielewski

Druss67,

Could you give us your location? Your phone system must send the Caller ID before the first ring.

I have a VoIP phone system and noticed that my phone sometimes rings after hangup. This was verified by using a phone to do the hangup for about a week. I would pickup the phone and and then hangup after one or more seconds. A ring did occur after hangup some of the time. Your server log file will indicate if a ring came in after hangup if you use verbose 2, 3 or 4.

I do not know if you tested with callblocker for a period of time, but if not do so. You stated in your first message that sometimes the phone rings 1 or 2 times. You need to use callblocker for a few calls to see if it also rings on certain calls.

Please provide /var/log/ncidd.log from startup to the end of startup message. You should also include a call hangup that rings one or more times. You can modify the phone numbers if you want to hide them. Use verbose 4.

• Druss67

Druss67 - 2017-01-13

Hi John,

I am in France.

I test callblocker since January, 8th. I will continue to test it, to see if it always works as I told you.