Menu

ncidd process disappears

Help
alexkoon
2006-01-06
2012-09-29
  • alexkoon

alexkoon - 2006-01-06

I am running ncidd on a debian box and its runs well most of the time. As specified in the other support thread "Modem forgets to use CID", I have a cron task create a modem lock file, sleep and delete it to solve the issue of the modem 'forgetting' the CID=1 function.

However, after a period of time the ncidd process just disappears. Nothing is shown in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog.

Any ideas why or how I might find out what is wrong?

Otherwise, another workaround will be to run ps -auxww | grep ncidd | wc -l to check if there is a process and if not to restart it.

• John L. Chmielewski

I am pretty certain the buss err patch posted by Roger in the open discussion forum will fix the segmentation fault. The patch will be in the next release.

• John L. Chmielewski

You need to look in /var/log/cidcall.log for messages. The server, ncidd, should write a message when it goes away. Version 0.61 of ncidd will log messages if it gets into trouble. If you do not see a message indicating why it quit, try to run it, as root, in a terminal window in debug mode: ncidd -Dv or even as ncidd -DDv to display the most debug messages.

• alexkoon

alexkoon - 2006-01-23

Just for your information - running ncidd -DDv causes a segmentation fault. -Dv doesn't.