Dual Modem issue

Help
eikaff
2015-04-08
2015-04-08
  • eikaff

eikaff - 2015-04-08

Dear ncid friends,
    I have the following problem, actually ncid is working great with my modem, an USB Conexant 93010( just in case it is this one https://sewelldirect.com/VoiceFax-56K-USB-Modem-Two-Jacks-.asp).
    The issue persist when i try to configure my second modem with it. Actually i don't know how to run two instances of ncid or one instance with two modems. I would need this because i have two analog pstn lines and i think it is not possible to make it work with one modem simultaneously(when behind my PBX i can't get ncid to read the CID, don't know why, i think it's a driver/modem problem).
    That's my situation, if you have some advice to solve my problem in any way it would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

• John L. Chmielewski

There are 2 solutions to your problem. One is cheap and is really a workaround. The other is a good solution but expensive.

The first solution is to run a second instance of ncidd on a second network port using a different configuration file. Port 3335 is a good choice. Port 3334 is usually used for testing. Then you would need to run the ncid2ncid gateway to combine all output to one server so clients can view the Caller ID from both servers.

A good place to start learning how to do this are the man pages for the ncidd server and ncid2ncid gateway. If you get the source, you can also look at the test.server shell script in ncid/test to see how it runs a second instance of ncidd.

The best, but expensive, solution is to use a whozz calling device. They have various models for 2 or 4 or 8 line devices. Sometimes you can pick one up on ebay at a discount. The wc2ncid gateway fully supports these devices.

• eikaff

eikaff - 2015-04-08

thanks a lot for the hints :)
    I think i will go with second instance of ncidd, however as i can see ncidpop is supporting 2 servers simultaneously, so don't need to use ncid2ncid :)

Last edit: eikaff 2015-04-08