Menu

Running on Linux WRT54GS router?

Help
dpeart
2007-10-11
2012-09-29
  • dpeart

dpeart - 2007-10-11

I have my Vonage attached to my wrt54gs router and would like to run ncidd and ncidsip on my router. I'm currently running the Tomato firmware and would like to know if anyone knows how difficult or if it is even possible to run ncid on the router.

If I can get it to run on the router, I would then setup my clients on all my computers and SageTV box (via yac for SageTV) to recieve the CID messages.

This keeps me from having to have a server running all the time.

thanks,
    dave

• John L. Chmielewski

NCID should port easily. You would need to cross compile it, and make sure you have tcl and Perl on your router. The hardest part would be to compile the 2 Perl modules you need, if they were not already ported. When you compile ncidd,
      use "make package" and "make package-install". This will skip the init scripts which are fedora specific. I have compiled ncidd on a NSLU2, and it seems to run, but I have not tested it.

• dpeart

dpeart - 2007-10-17

John,
      I saw that I would need to run ncipsip but at the time did not know that perl was required. Perl is not installed on the router, and I don't have a desire to try and compile it for that.

Guess I'll keep looking.

Thanks for your reply,
      Dave

• John L. Chmielewski

Dave,

I would assume the WRT54GS distribution already includes a Perl package. I know the NSLU2 distribution does. If it does have a Perl package, then you just need to worry about the Perl module needed.

NCIDsip works good and is pretty simple, but I think I need to rewrite it in C, so it can be more plug and play then it currently is. This will be added to the todo list.