Menu

ncid/out2osd available for 7.2

Help
2005-10-06
2012-09-29
  • Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-10-06

Hi,
    I have been trying to get out2osd to work but I keep getting an error message "Couldn't find or create shared front buffer" when I try to echo "Test" | out2osd

I am running TiVo version 7.2 on a Series2 TiVo and would really like to get ncid/out2osd working on this version of TiVo.

• John L. Chmielewski

A patch to fix libosd for 7.2 was posted at the deal database forums. I have applied the patches and built up a new out2osd, but before it is released, I would like someone to try it out. Once it is known to work, it will be released. Email me for the beta.

• John L. Chmielewski

I would assume this is a problem with libosd, so I will see if a new version is released.

• Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-10-07

John,

That is great news. I would really appreciate any help you can provide. My wife is upset that we no longer have caller id on TiVo since upgrading to 7.2.

• John L. Chmielewski

Could try to use a freetype font instead of the built-in one? Uncomment the line "# set freetype = 1" in the out2osd.conf file, and use the abbey_m1 font. I am curious to see if this would work.

• Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-10-10

John,

I tried your suggestion and still the same error message:

set freetype = 1

fontname is the name of a font file in /var/hack/share/fonts

(ignored if freetype = 0)

Freetype fontname Default: Comic_Sans_MS.ttf

set fontname = /var/hack/share/fonts/abbey_m1.ttf

fontsize can have a value from 20 to 50 (ignored if freetype = 0)

Freetype fontsize Default: 24

"out2osd.conf" 49L, 1383C written
      master:/var/hack/etc # echo "Hello" | out2osd
      Couldn't find or create shared front buffer

Thanks.

• Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-10-16

John,

Any other suggestions to get ncid/out2osd working on TiVo 7.2? Please let me know if there is anything else I can try.

Thanks again.

• John L. Chmielewski

I do not have a hacked series2 at this time, but I looked at the code to libosd and think it could be a call to the TiVo failing.

You could try to install newtext2osd and see if it works, get it from dealdatabase.com. If it does, you can configure ncid to send its output to it instead of out2osd. Normally you would run tivocid which calls: ncid --no-gui --call-prog --program /var/hack/bin/out2osd you would call /var/hack/bin/newtext2osd instead (assuming it is in the same location as out2osd).

• Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-10-22

John,

I downloaded the newtext2osd 1.4 version but when I run a test ./newtext2osd -t "Test" I get the following error:

master:/var/hack/newtext2osd-1.4 # ./newtext2osd -t "Test"
      ./newtext2osd: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open shared object f
      ile: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory

Where do I get the libraries and where do I put them for this to work.

Thanks for all your help.

• Shutterfriend

John,

I was able to get newtext2osd libraries but I get the same error:
      Couldn't find or create shared front buffer

I guess I am out of luck.

• John L. Chmielewski

This seems to indicate that it is a call to the TiVo failing. The programs that use libosd are not working. I am out of town on a job, but will work on this best I can.

You are not out of of luck yet. The TiVo has its own OSD you can use. You will need to search the forums for its name and usage. NCID can use it, however, I believe it takes over the entire screen.

• John L. Chmielewski

This forum http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44158&highlight=osd seems to have some information about the problem happening with the 7.1 kernel. Does this help you at all?

• Shutterfriend

John,

Thanks so much for helping me on this issue. I have no idea what kernel, etc. I am using. I just followed the instructions here:
      Now we'll copy a 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'd kernel to our system and install it
      cp /var/log/mount/s2_kernels/3.1.5/vmlinux.px.gz /
      gzip -d /vmlinux.px.gz
      tpip -k /vmlinux.px -s /dev/hdc

We'll have to change the kmonte symlinks to point to the proper files now, since we're using a newer kernel
      cd /mnt/root/boot
      rm kmonte.o
      ln -s kmonte20.o kmonte.o

Now the 7.2 kernel we saved earlier needs to be fixed. It seems you can't killinitrd or killhdinitrd it.. (At least I couldn't) So we'll use replace_initrd instead:
      Available here: http://forums.tivocanada.com/index.php?sho...253&#entry18253

./replace_initrd vmlinux72.px initrd-adh.img.gz vmlinux72.clean.px
      Ok, that updated the kernel file and gave us a backup of our virgin 7.2 file
      Now some more symlink modifications
      rm vmlinux.px
      ln -s vmlinux72.px vmlinux.px

Here's a link to a patched and a clean 7.2 kernel: 7.2 Kernel Images

Next I edited the /mnt/root/test.conf file with the following changes:
      /bin/stty 115200 < /dev/ttyS2
      (I uncommented that so I have a bit faster serial display)
      /boot/monte /boot/vmlinux.px root=$root upgradesoftware=false runideturbo=false console=2,115200 dsscon=true monte=true
      is my new entry after "/sbin/insmod -f /boot/kmonte.o" This turns on full serial console logging so you can see whats happening during boot AND it turns off the automatic install of new software when it comes down from TiVo.. It still downloads, it just doesnt run the install

I guess I am still a newbie but does this help tell me if I am using the 7.1 kernel that you referenced in the last post?

• Shutterfriend

John,

Further investigation with other posts:
      http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=179493#post179493

It appears that people with other versions of Tivo 5.1.1b doesn't work either. I guess any versions newer than 4.01b have problems with the out2osd and newtext2osd.

I will wait until you come back from your job out of town to see if you can resolve this issue. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to test or help with fixing this issue.

Thanks again for your continued support.

• Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-10-23

John,

Got your message on the Tivo Community forum. I see that it is an issue with the library OSD so I will wait patiently for a fix (hopefully).

Thanks.

• Shutterfriend

Shutterfriend - 2005-12-03

John,

Any news on getting ncid/out2osd working for 7.2.1 of TiVo. I haven't heard anything in a while.

Thanks.

• John L. Chmielewski

So far I have not located a fix or a replacement for libosd. If anyone can help with this or provide pointers, it would be appreciated.

• John L. Chmielewski

I have a version of out2osd that may work and need someone to test it running 7.2 or newer.

Grab the file: http://ncid.sourceforge.net/out2osd/out2osd-0.8.1.tar.gz

Extract out2osd, and test it: echo Hello | ./out2osd

I need to know if it displays or what the error message is.

• John L. Chmielewski

Results from test is the new out2osd does not work.