Menu

Tivo cannot dial out with NCID running

Help
SKova
2007-11-26
2012-09-29
  • SKova

SKova - 2007-11-26

I have found that when NCID is running on Tivo Series 2 (or by posts any version), the modem cannot make a proper connection when placing a call. The version on the Tivo appears to be .67. Not sure if a newer version corrects this problem.

Kind regards.

• John L. Chmielewski

A newer version of NCID would provide additional features and fixes, but it does not fix the problem you are having when placing a call. NCID needs to monitor a modem lock file so it can release the modem when another program uses it. TiVo, at some OS release, changed or eliminated the lock file. This causes the problem you noted. The TiVo forums have a workaround you can use until this problem is fixed.

• SKova

SKova - 2007-11-27

John, I'm guessing that you are talking about the workarounds discussed in the Tivo Community Forums? When mine attempts to connect, it will prepare, dial and get stuck with the negotiating for several mintues. If I listen in, the modems are talking, but will not complete the negotiation. I looked at the log for NCID and it shows:

TTY in use: releasing modem 11/26/2007 22:32
        TTY free: using modem again 11/26/2007 22:36
        Modem initialized.
        Modem set for CallerID.

Does this show that it is being released for the call? Should I comment out the NCID from loading and try to see what happens? I need some direction please.

• John L. Chmielewski

Yes, I was talking about the workarounds in the TiVo Community Forums, but your log indicates you are not having that problem.

Your log shows that NCID is doing what it is suppose to. It released the modem for another program and then reconnected to the modem when it was free. In your case, it was about 4 minutes later. NCID monitors the modem lock file to tell when it should release and reconnect to the modem, it does not monitor the modem.

Your problem seems to be the modem. Usually if it fails to negotiate, it is a modem problem. It could also be a software driver in the case of a win modem or it could be a configuration problem. NCID assumes most of the modem setup is correct and just puts it into caller id mode so it should not cause a problem.

You probably should test to make sure NCID is not the cause. Comment out the NCID startup, stop it, and make a test call. If it fails, try a reboot, and do a test call again. If it fails I would suspect a modem problem, if it is successful, you need to start NCID and do a another test call. If it succeeds then NCID is not the problem.

• SKova

SKova - 2007-12-04

After removing the NCID from the boot up, the modem still would not complete the negotiating in the call. There is another problem causing this.