Menu

Unable to set modem CallerID

Help
Matt Ruby
2008-06-05
2012-09-29
  • Matt Ruby

Matt Ruby - 2008-06-05

I moved the computer on which ncid was working perfectly well (with YAC) from our old house to our new one and ncid mysteriously stopped working. We still have CID service (though now with call waiting, too) and nothing much in the configuration of the computer has changed. (Granted, it had been running for some time without a power cycle, so it's conceivable powering it off to move it, then on again at the new house could have affected something.)

Anyway, this is what I see in the log for ncidd with maximum verbosity set:

Started: 06/05/2008 17:16
    Server: ncidd 0.70
    Processed config file: /etc/ncid/ncidd.conf
    Configured to send 'cidlog' to clients.
    Configured to send 'cidinfo' to clients.
    Processed alias file: /etc/ncid/ncidd.alias
    Verbose level: 5
    Telephone Line Identifier: -
    CID logfile: /var/log/cidcall.log
    CID logfile maximum size: 110000 bytes
    Data logfile: /var/log/ciddata.log
    TTY port opened: /dev/modem
    TTY port speed: 19200
    TTY lock file: /var/lock/LCK..modem
    TTY port control signals disabled
    No Modem Response
    Try 1 to init modem: return = 2.
    AT
    Try 2 to init modem: return = 2.
    Z S0=0 E1 V1 Q0
    Try 3 to init modem: return = 2.
    No Modem Response
    Try 4 to init modem: return = 2.

OK
    AT
    Try 5 to init modem: return = 0.
    Modem initialized.
    Z S0=0 E1 V1 Q0
    No Modem Response
    Unable to set modem CallerID: /dev/modem
    Terminated: 06/05/2008 17:16

It almost appears the modem is no longer replying fast enough. I tried running Minicom, setting the CID function, and calling my number and the CID info came through just fine. I disabled port control signals in the above example, but this setting has no effect either way.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    -Matt

• John L. Chmielewski

You need to check a few things:

Make sure a getty is not running on the modem port. It is safest to "set ttyport = /dev/ttyS0" (or whatever port you are using, instead of /dev/modem.

It could be a problem with the ncidd.conf file. Make sure the "set initstr" line is commented out (You are using the default so it is not needed.

It could also be the modem reset commands have changed. NCID uses the default reset and adds to it. I believe minicom does not use the default. If you can see what minicom sends for its initialization string, you can set initstr to it in the ncidd.conf file.

If none of the above helps, you can email me the ncidd.conf file and what you can capture of minicom when it initializes the modem and after you set the modem for CID.

• Matt Ruby

Matt Ruby - 2008-06-06

> You need to check a few things:

> Make sure a getty is not running on the modem port. It is safest to "set ttyport = /dev/ttyS0" (or whatever port you are using, instead of /dev/modem.

getty is running on tty1 through tty6, as expected. I tried ttyS0 through ttyS3 in minicom, but couldn't access the modem. It's an Intel 537 softmodem, so /dev/modem links to /dev/537. Would it be better to use that? (I'm inclined to leave it, since I may be confused much later on down the line by such an unusual device name.)

> It could be a problem with the ncidd.conf file. Make sure the "set initstr" line is commented out (You are using the default so it is not needed.)

That line is commented out.

> It could also be the modem reset commands have changed. NCID uses the default reset and adds to it. I believe minicom does not use the default. If you
      > can see what minicom sends for its initialization string, you can set initstr to it in the ncidd.conf file.

I'll try that. minicom uses "AT S7=45 S0=0 L1 V1 X4 &c1 E1 Q0".

> If none of the above helps, you can email me the ncidd.conf file and what you can capture of minicom when it initializes the modem and after you set the
      > modem for CID.

Hey, it looks like the init string from minicom worked to get ncidd to stay running!

However, it's not writing anything to cidcall.log or ciddata.log when a call comes in. I thought I saw another post concerning that, so I'll look again.

Thanks,
      -Matt

• John L. Chmielewski

You now have to make sure the modem is set for caller id. You should see "Modem set for CallerID" third line from the last. If you do not see it, then try to set initcid by removing the '#' from the line "# set initcid = "AT#CID=1" or you can use the string you used to get minicom to display the Caller ID information.

• Matt Ruby

Matt Ruby - 2008-06-07

Sorry, disregard what I said. The modem was set for Caller ID, but for some reason just didn't log the time I tested it. It seems to be working now, though.

Many, many thanks for all your help.