Menu

NCID and "Distinctive Ring"

2005-08-06
2012-09-29
  • Rick Matthews

Rick Matthews - 2005-08-06

My phone company offers "Distinctive Ring", which gives you a second phone number on the same line, but with a different ring from the regular phone number. I have a fax machine on the second number and it only answers the special ring.

I have activated Distinctive Ring in my modem (S41 in my case) and it now reports caller id for both numbers, differentiating between the two by using RING A and RING B. Here's and example of each from cidmodem.log:

RING A

DATE = 0805
    TIME = 1743
    NMBR = 9999999927
    NAME = WIRELESS CALLER

RING A

RING B

DATE = 0805
    TIME = 1823
    NMBR = 9999999934
    NAME = RANSOM ROBERT

RING B

Those 2 calls are reflected in cidcall.log as follows:

CID: DATE08052005TIME1743NMBR9999999927MESGNONENAMEWIRELESS CALL
    CID:
    DATE08052005TIME1823NMBR9999999934MESGNONENAMERANSOM ROBERT

Would it be possible to carry the second line indicator to the cidcall.log and in the message sent to the client? Nothing fancy, a single character would do.

Thanks,
    Rick

• John L. Chmielewski

The Distinctive Ring feature will included in the next release of NCID, version 0.60. The modem indicator (A B C D) will be used in the cidcall.log file to indicate which line was called. The default, without distinctive ring, will be 1. Multiple line support is planned for a later release.

• John L. Chmielewski

I need to correct the above on NCID distinctive ring support. The modem indicator will be used to indicate the telephone line, and it depends on the modem. Some modems use A B C D, and some use 1 2 3 4. The default indicator will be "-" to indicate no distinctive ring in use. The Lucent chipset uses its own method to indicate distinctive ring, and is not supported at this time

• Rick Matthews

Rick Matthews - 2005-08-06

This is a follow-up to my initial request.

The phone company will let you add multiple disctinctive ring numbers to your single phone line, and each will have its own ring. It appears that the modem would report the caller id on additional numbers as RING C, RING D, etc.

That being the case, a viable solution would be to check for a trailing letter with the RING notification, and if one is there, include it in the log files and client notifications.

This is probably "No duh!" to you guys, but I wanted to add it to the thread.

• John L. Chmielewski

Already planned for NCID is multiline support. Distinctive ring support seems reasonable, and easy enough to add.

The solution given is good, but just using a indicator could get confusing for multiple numbers. I think a indicator that could be customized into the called telephone number would be better.

• Rick Matthews

Rick Matthews - 2005-08-07

Sounds good to me, thanks!