Menu

Sipura2NCID - a SIPURA/LynkSys/Cisco ATA to NCID gateway - available

hsugawara
2015-03-25
2020-09-04
  • hsugawara

hsugawara - 2015-03-25

I recently moved from AT&T analog landline phone to CallCentric VOIP. In order to continue using home-wide NCID advantage, I wrote Sipura2NCID, a SIPURA/LynkSys/Cisco ATA (analog telephone adaptor) to NCID gateway.

Sipura2NCID runs as a Linux service. Unlike Sip2NCID, Sipura2NCID does not snoop network packets, but it instead uses an ATA's debug message output, so network configuration or security is not a concern.

Please visit http://sipura2ncid.sourceforge.net. Version 1.1.0 is a production release.

hiro

• Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2015-05-10

Hi Hiro,

Thanks for your contribution to the NCID community. We'll add it to the list of other 3rd party NCID programs.

• John L. Chmielewski

Hey Hiro,

Sipura2NCID was added to 3rd Party Addons.

• Richard_on_SF

Richard_on_SF - 2020-09-01

Hi all,
    Has anyone managed to get sipura2ncid to work on a rasperry pi? I cannot compile it on Raspbian. I have already succeeded with sip2ncid but I would like to be able to migrate to this module (sipura2ncid). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx, Richard

• Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2020-09-02

Hi Richard,

I don't have the Sipura hardware but I'll give compiling sipura2ncid a shot. What version of Raspbian are you running -- Jessie, Stretch, Buster -- or something else entirely?

• Ed Attfield

Ed Attfield - 2020-09-02

The daemon for sipura2ncid is a perl script, so the Makefile copies the script and startup file to appropriate places in the file system.

The Makefile needs to be be updated, because it is not aware of systemd which is now used to start daemons in many Linux distributions, including the Debian variant on the Raspberry Pi.

You can test the sipura2ncid script by running it as root to see if it even works. You may need to modify some of the path and port constants in the script.

• Richard_on_SF

Richard_on_SF - 2020-09-03

Hi Todd,
    here what I have. Thx in advance. Another thx for Ed too because I'm way far from being an expert over Linux. All advices are always appreciated.

root@raspbx:~# cat /etc/os-release
    PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
    NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
    VERSION_ID="9"
    VERSION="9 (stretch)"
    VERSION_CODENAME=stretch
    ID=raspbian
    ID_LIKE=debian
    HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

• Todd Andrews

Todd Andrews - 2020-09-04

Thanks Ed and Richard for the additional info.

I did some Googling and it appears that the Sipura SPA devices use a firmware very similar to the Linksys PAP devices (see here and here). Not only that but there's another site that says:

Please note: Though the Linksys adapters have historically been an industry standard, they are built on old technology. If you are considering buying a VoIP ATA, we recommend the new OBi ATAs. The OBi ATAs were built by the same engineers that built the PAP/SPA devices, and are sure to make an already great VoIP experience even better.

I looked at the sipura2ncid perl script and NCID's obi2ncid perl script and they are quite similar. Both read UDP packets sent to the device's syslog port. The sample packet data file INVITE in sipura2ncid-1.1.0.tgz looks like standard SIP to me, so I suggest trying the obi2ncid gateway for your SPA-2000.

You wrote:

I have already succeeded with sip2ncid but I would like to be able to migrate to this module (sipura2ncid).

The main difference I see between sipura2ncid and obi2ncid is that sipura2ncid allows sending its log to a syslog port whereas obi2ncid logging is done to a file. Is this something that you were hoping to be able to do whereas NCID's sip2ncid doesn't offer this?

NCID documentation:

OBihai has a cloud-based configurator that allows changing the syslog port, and the NCID docs assume using that. You won't be able to use that obviously, but the documentation that's included in sipura2ncid says:

Access the SIPURA ATA's embedded web server and log in as "advanced."
    Go to the <System> page, then set up <Debug Server> to point to
    the host running sipura2ncid with an appropriate UDP port
    available for sipura2ncid to listen on. The debug host field should be like "my.host.domain:port". 33514 is a recommended port number.

Then go to the <Line>I<X> page and select "<full>" for the SIP Debug Option.
    Remember to save the changes by clicking on the "<Submit All Changes>"
    button.

The one difference I can see between the OBihai setup and what's described above is that we recommend the OBihai X_SipDebugOption parameter bet set to Log All Except REGISTER Messages. You might check to see if the SPA-2000 has a similar option instead of "<full>".

The default obi2ncid port is 4335 but it can be overridden by the obi2ncid.conf file (or command line, for testing) if you want.

Let us know how it goes.