pwpi - 2007-06-16

I'm in the midst of setting up a site for live songwriting collaborations among other valuable services for signed and unsigned talent. I need to implement a DAW (digital audio workstation) type of environment for our members to utilize that will be compatible with their home or studio based systems. Something people can use online with minimum latency, and maximum communications.

I've spent a great deal of time at the Ardour website but am having difficulties getting answers to my questions. Ardour is a great DAW software innovation but more than what I need. A stripped down version, capable of handling online traffic and having a visually friendly interface would be much better suited toward our needs.

There are a few sites currently delving into this practice but not with an all encompassing service as such that we intend to offer. As far as recording is concerned, I want this site to be the wikipedia of the music business as it pertains to song files, their writing, recording and mixing processes. Ultimately the software needs to please the stringent demands of the professional musician, producer and engineer but, at the same time be simple enough to operate that someone with no knowledge of music can edit a song and submit their changes.

Currently, I've come across two rather interesting systems: The digitalmusician software and the indabamusic software.(Very much an emulator of Apple's "garageband" software.)

I have no clue how they work or how they are programmed. All I care is that our site has a system of similar, if not greater capacity.

http://www.digitalmusician.net/index.php?id=381

http://indabamusic.com/#

I'd like all files recorded using the proposed software to be capable of a few things:

Compatibility:  operating as a "Rewire" device (master or slave), the software can be connected with your sequencer of choice such as: Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, Reason, Live, Digital Performer, Sonar and others.

As the DM-Recorder can import and export audio files, you can work entirely with another program and use the DM-Recorder as a means to transfer data for offline sessions.

Stores all recordings as independent tracks with digital signatures (for copyright purposes). in a universal MP3 format at a minimum of 192kbps. Options for greater quality would be preferred. (320, aiff, or wave)

Cross Platform: Apple, Linux, Windows

Summary:

We have the resources for talent, and membership, which fuels advertising incentives and so on, but we have no reliable DAW software as of now.  We NEED this to succeed and if. . .  it can be developed here, we're more than happy to create partnerships etc.