Menu

Navit on TomTom

2010-02-20
2014-02-18
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Manuel Hohmann

Manuel Hohmann - 2013-05-20

I cannot open the file. Try with lower debug levels first. 1 should be enough for now, and if this is not enough, one can still try more.

• Manuel Hohmann

So far it looks fine to me, I see no reason for the freezing… GPS data is coming in and it reports to be drawing something. And over several minutes it seems to be doing something, so Navit itself is not hanging. So the question is: Why is it not responding, and why can't you see a map? Navit also reports that it found and loaded some map data. So there are a few more things to check:

Possible reason for the blank map (is it actually grey or rather yellow?): Are you sure that your current GPS position is on the map? If you have only map data for Iceland, but your position is somewhere else, it will display the empty map around your position.

Possible reason for the apparent freezing: It could be that your TomTom model needs a different touchscreen driver (and this is rather likely since you have an XL). For this you need to edit the file navit/ts/ts.conf on your TomTom as described in https://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/TomTom_development#tslib (comment out "module_raw h3600" and uncomment "module_raw input").

• Tuneke van Heule

I have an tomtom xl too, and i tried navit, but since my device has only an internal and limited spaces sd card, i was not able to install navit with a map, next too the tomtom software (it wants the software WITH a valid map, so only 99mb of space left...)

I stumbled upon ttmaps and tried that. (http://ttmaps.free.fr/en/download.html) it worked fine, but its a raster map thingy, so no navigation. But i managed to install it while clearing the tomtom sd card only taking ttsystem and ttgo.bif along. (Like mentioned on http://ttmaps.free.fr/en/install.html)

Now i was wondering, should it be possible to make navit run standalone, without keeping the tomtomdata and software, on tomtom, using the technique of ttmaps?

Im no biggie in porting things and stuff, so i have no clue where to start, maybe someone here knows what they did and how to use it for navit?

• Phoenix

Phoenix - 2013-05-20

Making progress… I went outside and waited until the TomTom received a GPS signal before firing up Navit and indeed, the (local test-)map does show up now. I did put in the correct starting location in the tomtom480.xml config file before, but that doesn't seem to do anything as it seems.

I changed the ts.conf to module_raw input, but alas, still no response from the touch screen and the mouse cursor stays visible in the corner.

Log file is again too big for pastebin, so here goes… http://www.filedropper.com/navit_1
    Any suggestions left?

I appreciate the feedback so far, thank you.

• Manuel Hohmann

So, that was part one… Let's try to solve part two. Another possible cause for the touchscreen problem is that the touchscreen input device is located somewhere else in the Linux /dev tree. To test this, you need to edit the file navit/bin/navit-wrapper as shown here:

https://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/TomTom_development#Installing_Navit_binaries.2C_plugins_and_icons

Change the TSLIB_TSDEVICE line to "export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0". You can combine this new setting with either the old or the new driver setting in ts.conf (I would try the new one first).

If I remember correctly, the precompiled binaries should also come with a "touchscreen" utility which can be found in the TomTom menu as well. You may also try to run this and check whether you can calibrate the touchscreen.

As you see, the Navit on TomTom port is rather experimental…

• riess82

riess82 - 2013-05-20

Phoenixx87:
    I also play around with a Tomtom XL, for me the following settings seem to work:
    Ts.conf: module_raw h3600
    Ts-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/ts
    Navit-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/ts

I also was fighting the gray map symptom, until i found out how to set the center (starting) position correctly.
    It is mentioned in the configuration, but just for reference: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Configuration

• Phoenix

Phoenix - 2013-05-20

And another step forward.

I changed the TSLIB_DEVICE to /dev/input/event0. It didn't seem to do anything at first until I randomly started swiping and pushing the screen. Somehow I ended up in the main menu of Navit. I can make the pointer jump across the screen by randomly clicking/dragging but the movements don't make any sense at all. 

It looks like the issue you had in post number 13 in this thread.

• Manuel Hohmann

Very good! I think now the only thing that still needs to be done is a calibration with the touchscreen utility.

• riess82

riess82 - 2013-05-20

xenos: Could you have a look at the setup I produced at comment 17?

I can't get a signal from the gps, I have checked that gpsd is running.

• Manuel Hohmann

@riess82: I haven't used gpsd on TomTom yet, so I cannot say anything about this in particular, but only about the TomTom GPS in general. The signal is processed in several different stages, each of which requires some part of the TomTom software to be running. The processed data can then be fetched from a pipe named /var/run/gpspipe or /var/run/gpsfeed - this is the method I use in the precompiled binaries. If there is no TomTom application running, one needs to read the data directly from the serial port to which the GPS is connected (could be /dev/ttySAC2). However, this may not work out of the box, since one first needs to power up the GPS unit as shown in http://www.opentom.org/Hardware_GPS, and one probably needs to write some script for this.

• Phoenix

Phoenix - 2013-05-20

Ok, I tried different combinations of TSDEVICE and ts.conf settings, but the only one that works is
    Ts.conf: module_raw input
    Navit-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
    Ts-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/ts

There is a Touchscreen icon at the back of the Tomtom menu, I assume that's the calibration tool. However, when I activate it, the device simply returns to the Tomtom map-interface.

Further playing with the funky touch controls in Navit, I discovered that the bottom right area (2cm/1inch high, 5cm/2inch wide) functions as a touchpad. But all the movements are mirrored and I can't reach the top and right side of the screen, so it's not only impractical, but also impossible to use this way. It does seem to be a calibration issue, but the tool doesn't start.

• Manuel Hohmann

The touchscreen utility needs the same settings in ts-wrapper that are also in navit-wrapper, i.e.,

ts.conf: module_raw input
    navit-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
    ts-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0

With these settings also the calibration should work.

• Phoenix

Phoenix - 2013-05-20

Unfortunately, the calibration tool still doesn't start.

I decided to take the unit for a testdrive to see if the gps tracking actually worked (nu touchscreen necessary for that). Turns out it does work, albeit extremely slow. The position only updates once every minute, give or take. The unit also takes about five minutes to boot. No idea if this is normal or not (I would guess not)?

If there are anymore suggestions, I'd be happy to try  them out.
    If not, then I want to thank you for your time, really appreciated. Paper maps and a compass do have their charm, and they don't run out of battery :-)

• Manuel Hohmann

Manuel Hohmann - 2013-05-22

Hm… Strange. I have no idea why the touchscreen tool doesn't start. Unfortunately I don't have any TomTom device here at the moment, so I cannot test it myself (and debug the problem)…

• riess82

riess82 - 2013-06-20

new info for getting the gps data into navit without running ttn.
    in my setup gpspipe is running and also the nmea output seems correct (checked with more /var/run/gpspipe). gpsd is running. Navit seems to pick up the pipe correctly (set in vehicle), as the satellite status symbol appears. However, the status never changes and no position is used.

• Matthias Bockelkamp

I found a way to get the TomTom XL's touchscreen working:

At first you have to write down the calibration values from the original OS. Press power-on for about six seconds, then you see the debug screen with the four touchscreen calibration values MinX MaxX MinY MaxY. Then configure navit as follows:

navit/bin/navit-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
    navit/ts/ts-wrapper: export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event0
    navit/ts/ts-wrapper: comment out the line with ts_calibrate, it will break the settings
    navit/ts/ts-conf: module_raw input
    navit/ts/pointercal: Create that file. It must have exactly one line with the following numbers (rounded to integers, without the square brackets): [-(480 * 65536) / (MaxX - MinX)] [0] [MaxX * (480 * 65536) / (MaxX - MinX)] [0] [-(272 * 65536) / (MaxY - MinY)] [MaxY * (272 * 65536) / (MaxY - MinY)] [65536] [480] [272]

Example:
    I have for MinX MaxX MinY MaxY the values 219 815 332 662.
    The resulting content for pointercal is:
    -52781 0 43016515 0 -54018 35759916 65536 480 272

After that, the ts test works fine, but navit still crashes very often. I have to start it about ten times for not crashing once.

Last edit: Matthias Bockelkamp 2013-07-06
  • jschueller

jschueller - 2013-08-16

Hi,

I've followed the navit wiki instructions and this thread infos
    to run navit on a ttONE, but I'm stuck with the gps tracking.

How can I debug the gps stuff ? I've got no /var/gps* block device:
    vehicle_file:vehicle_file_new_file:Failed to open 'file://dev/gpsdata'
    With opentom.org down is much more difficult !

I've shared my script to automate the build against current navit trunk:
    https://github.com/jschueller/navit-tomtom

x.

Last edit: jschueller 2013-08-17
  • Covax22

Covax22 - 2014-02-18

Hello, I'm trying to install Navitom on TomTom XXL Classic, but after rebooting, navigator take long time to boot, 2 minutes or more, and after click on the tab navit device freezes. That's the end of the log:

05:04:42.916|navit:tracking_get_attr:enter position_valid
    05:04:43.167|navit:rm_rect_new:enter
    05:04:43.917|navit:tracking_get_attr:enter position_valid
    05:04:44.167|navit:rm_rect_new:enter
    05:04:44.831|navit:log_timer:delta=59999 flush_time=30
    05:04:44.916|navit:tracking_get_attr:enter position_valid
    05:04:45.168|navit:rm_rect_new:enter
    05:04:45.901|navit:log_timer:delta=60000 flush_time=30
    05:04:45.932|navit:tracking_get_attr:enter position_valid
    05:04:46.172|navit:rm_rect_new:enter
    05:04:46.916|navit:tracking_get_attr:enter position_valid
    05:04:47.177|navit:rm_rect_new:enter