Menu

OCR fail to download? (windows XP)

nikos
2017-07-06
2018-03-29
  • nikos

nikos - 2017-07-06

I've just installed NAPS2 latest version on an old windows XP.SP3 (I had to download .NET v4). It works.

but when I click on OCR button and try to download any language (even english) it fails!? It says download failed without much details. Internet connection is fine

Last edit: nikos 2017-07-06
  • Ben Olden-Cooligan

Can you attach your errorlog.txt file here? You can find it in the "%APPDATA%\NAPS2" folder. For example, if your user name is Nikos, it would be in "C:\Users\Nikos\AppData\Roaming\NAPS2".

• kp99

kp99 - 2017-09-28

Hello! I've got the same error on WinXP SP3. Here is a log:
    2017-09-28 15:56:41.7968 Error downloading file: tesseract_xp.exe.gz System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Received an unexpected EOF or 0 bytes from the transport stream.
    at System.Net.TlsStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.PooledStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeadersCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.Net.WebClient.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request, IAsyncResult result)
    at System.Net.WebClient.DownloadBitsResponseCallback(IAsyncResult result)

• kp99

kp99 - 2017-09-29

I have foun a solution (rude, of course) for Windows XP:
    download tesseract setup file from here http://wikiprograms.org/tesseract-ocr/
    http://digi.bib.uni-mannheim.de/tesseract/tesseract-ocr-setup-3.05.01.exe
    installed it into c:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR (during the installation I chose additional lang-packs what I need),
    copied all files and "tessdata" folder from "c:\Program Files\Tesseract-OCR" into C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\NAPS2\components\tesseract-3.0.4
    Now, when I launch naps2 and if I press "OCR" button, it still fails to download any language, but after that it shows, that English and my additional languages are installed! And it allows me to mark checkbox "Make PDFs searchable.."
    So now if I press "Scan" or "Save PDF" it makes it perfect - PDF with searchable layer! (of course, in portrait orientation only. In landscape I need to press "Rotate" first, and then "Save PDF").

• Ben Olden-Cooligan

This should be resolved in the latest version of NAPS2 (5.6.0).

• andy

andy - 2018-01-15

Hello, my problem is simular. I installed NAS2, scanned some pictures, then I tryed to use OCR and downloades the files and it works.
    Next time I tried to use the OCR, the PopUp appears again, but no file may be downloaded (error downloading file) and no OCR is possible. Also no other language. In the path (C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\NAPS2\components) the folder tesseract-3.0.4 exists and an file deu.traineddata is there.
    My system is Windows 10 1709 Pro
    What can I do?

• Ben Olden-Cooligan

If you click the About button in NAPS2, what does it say beside Version?

• kp99

kp99 - 2018-03-29

Great thanks! You've solve it!