Menu

Windows update breaks Twain

BBB
2024-01-15
2024-01-16
  • BBB

BBB - 2024-01-15

I have an Epson WF-7610, and after the most recent Windows update (2024-01) seems to have broken Twain in versions 7.x. Whether I connect via wireless or USB, I can still scan via WIA, but any attempt to scan via Twain (which is the only way document feeder scanning works properly) results in a timeout. I can scan fine in other applications, print to the printer, etc., so the issue seems to be software, not hardware. Upgrading from 7.1.x to 7.3.x did not help, neither did reinstalling the printer drivers, rebooting the computer, restarting the application, etc. Help is greatly appreciated.

• Ben Olden-Cooligan

Have you tried using the ESCL driver? It should work with that scanner if it's connected to your wireless network.

• BBB

BBB - 2024-01-16

Update: the ESCL driver didn't work, and neither did changing the cable or the USB spot. The only thing that works is connecting my printer to my computer via wifi direct. No idea what this might mean.

Thanks for replying to me and trying to help.

• BBB

BBB - 2024-01-16

...is it possible that Naps2 is still trying to use old device ids or somesuch? I noticed that all of my saved profiles (I have a few for different paper sizes) all stayed imported between versions. When I try to create a new profile it just shows the same device as always. Is there any way to trigger NAPS2 to a device list refresh, and scan for new devices?

• Ben Olden-Cooligan

It queries for devices every time you click the Choose Device button. When you say ESCL doesn't work, can you be more specific? Does the device not show up? Is there some kind of error?

• Ben Olden-Cooligan

Also, you can try selecting different "Twain Implementation" options in Advanced in your Profile Settings.