Menu

A few questions

Help
2003-04-10
2003-04-11
  • Johannes S.

Johannes S. - 2003-04-10

Hi all,

most of my question were solved by reading around here, but I still wants to know:

a) how can I reconnect _automagically_ to another server after some idle time? I want to have something like "repeat 60:00 if idle_for_last_60_minutes {getservers | reconnect}".

b) when will there be a possibility to save the pending downloads to a reloadable list? Is someone working on that feature? ;)

c) is there a more frequently used forum/mailing list about nap?

TIA and HAND,

Hannes

• Peter Selinger

Peter Selinger - 2003-04-11

a) there is no support currently for exactly what you are describing here. I suppose by "idle" you mean that there have been no download requests for a certain time. (This does not happen to me very often :) Anyway, what nap can do is reconnect periodically after a fixed time interval, or else, reconnect automatically when the connection to the server is lost (-a option).

b) It has been requested by users for some time, but I am not actively working on nap at this time, and neither is anybody else as far as I know. With the original napster philosophy, there was not much point in this feature, as clients were usually connected for short periods of time, and you'd have trouble finding them again if you reconnected at a different time. Nowadays, people seem to stay logged on forever, and remote queues have also gotten a lot longer. The feature is not in principle very difficult to implement; feel free to submit a patch.

c) Not that I know of. This is it.

-- Peter

• Johannes S.

Johannes S. - 2003-04-11

a) your supposition of "idle" is right, but i would add the situation "there are no downloads for a certain time, because i'm logged in to the false server and the clients that i'm waiting for have reconnected to other servers than i'm actually connected to". because of the many dynamically obtained ip-addresses with 24h-disconnect in europe this situation occurs more often than you would think... ;). nethertheless, "autorestart = 1" is set in napconf.

b) if i was able to implement this feature, i wouldn't ask for it... ;), but if i look in .c-files, i stand around like a new car in front of the first puddle... *g

c) i'm surprised about the fast response. when i looked at the "last post" column yesterday, i'd never guessed that... :)

HAND,

Hannes