Menu

Blank Page with Blank Tickers

Help
2010-03-31
2013-04-17
  • Gerald Kowalsky

Gerald Kowalsky - 2010-03-31

My installation yields a blank page with two blank tickers along the bottom of the page.  I have confirmed that the backend.php function returns the XML data (using firebug).  I followed the suggestion to remove all comment lines from the top of the js files, but this has not changed the display,

I get two errors from _d_initials.js

var nameNode = response.getElementsByTagName('display_name');
      response.getElementsByTagName is not a function in _d_initials.js (line 50) and (line 4)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to address these errors?

Gerry

• Jeroen Claeys

Jeroen Claeys - 2010-04-01

Hi Gerry

I suspect there is something wrong with the "response" variable.

You could try and delete the line that generates the error, being:

var nameNode = response.getElementsByTagName('display_name');

I expect the same error to be generated by the following line containing the "response" variable, in this case:

var idNode = response.getElementsByTagName('id');

Try outputting the received data by adding an alert. You will get a popup with the content.

function makeInitialHosts(){
        $.post("backend.php", {action: "getHosts"}, function(data){
                    [b]alert(data);[/b]
            var response = data;

If you want you can also send me your configuration files.

Jeroen

• Gerald Kowalsky

Gerald Kowalsky - 2010-04-01

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for the quick follow up!

You are right, the problem is in the 'response' data, while populated with text, the comments from the top of the file backend.php were included.  I edited the comments out of backend.php and now i get the data populating the bottom half of the screen and the two tickers.

The data on the top half of the screen is not being presented.  The errors from the apache log are as follows;

File does not exist: /var/www/birdseye/ticker_space.gif,
    PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined function json_decode() in /var/www/birdseye/backend.php

With the PHP error being repeated for multiple line numbers.

Gerry

• Gerald Kowalsky

Gerald Kowalsky - 2010-04-01

I've added json support to my PHP instance and now the host portion now displays.

Gerry

• Jeroen Claeys

Jeroen Claeys - 2010-04-01

I'm glad you were able to fix this issue. Don't hesitate to contact me in case you encounter further problems.

Greetings,
    Jeroen

• StaCkOver

StaCkOver - 2010-05-04

Jeroen. Please help me. I am with the same problem. My screen starts refreshing all the time. I am only seeing two tickers in the bottom. One red and the other one yelow. Could you help me please?

Thanks a lot.

PS. I didi the steps you said above but no sucess. :(

• Gerald Kowalsky

Gerald Kowalsky - 2010-05-11

StaCkOver,

You likely need to update your ndo database, in my installation the upgradedb application can be found in /var/ndo and is executed as follows;  (use your user/pass and db names)

# perl upgradedb   -u user -p password -h hostname -d database
    Current database version: 1.4b7
    ** DB upgrade required for 1.4b8
         Using mysql-upgrade-1.4b7.sql for upgrade…
    ** Upgrade to 1.4b8 complete

This upgrade has cleared the condition you refer to on my instances.

Gerry

• Greg Cowie

Greg Cowie - 2010-08-18

I hate to revive a thread, but I've been working through it to get to where I am now, successfully, and now I'm stuck.

I have both tickers at the bottom of the page, but they're not displaying anything. If I highlight them, I can see a highlighted white block scrolling. I do have the overview (footer) information displaying, but still nothing displaying in the top part of the screen (after clicking to dismiss the initial CRITICALS box).

According to php -m I do have json support in my php compile, and I'm already upgraded to ndo mysql version 1.4b9. I've removed the copyright comments at the top of several of the files to get to where I am currently. I'm hoping someone might be able to point me to something else I can try?