"Binary packages for %s" % your_platform

• Andy Dustman

Andy Dustman - 2004-05-20

Just so you know, I do not expect to be producing binary packages for any platforms. For Linux/UNIX users, this should not be a problem. Just unpack the tarball, cd into the directory, and run:

$ python setup.py build
    $ sudo python setup.py install # i.e. run this as root

When in doubt, read README.

If you are using Red Hat or some other distribution that uses RPM, you can build your own RPMs like this:

$ python setup.py bdist_rpm

Resulting RPM will be be in the build directory somewhere.

Beware that you will need the relevant development packages installed, i.e. python-devel and mysql-devel; names will vary depending on distro and whose MySQL packages you are using.

I don't have the tools (or the inclination) to build binary packages for Windows.

However, if you want to contribute a binary package for any platform, I'm very likely to accept it if it is well-documented (in the package) who did the packaging and for what environment (OS particulars including Python and MySQL versions).

Don't bother making binary packages of prereleases (this includes all 1.1 releases): If you can't build it yourself, you shouldn't be using a prerelease version.

• Andy Dustman

Andy Dustman - 2004-11-19

Always read README, and that 1.1.7 or newer is currently the best version for Python-2.3.