warning: lost connection with proxy

Gary Lee
2012-03-19
2013-06-12
  • Gary Lee

Gary Lee - 2012-03-19

Hi, every so often I'm getting an email sent to the postmaster account saying:

Out: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
    Out: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error
    In:  QUIT
    Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye

For other details, see the local mail logfile

When I check the mail.log file I am seeing the following lines referring to the same message:

Mar 19 02:31:58 ext-mx1 postfix/smtpd: warning: lost connection with proxy 127.0.0.1:5555
    Mar 19 02:31:58 ext-mx1 postfix/smtpd: proxy-reject: END-OF-MESSAGE: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error; from=<sender> to=<recipient> proto=ESMTP helo=<sender mx>
    Mar 19 02:31:58 ext-mx1 postfix/cleanup: BC20F212215: message-id=<msg id>
    Mar 19 02:31:58 ext-mx1 postfix/smtpd: disconnect from sender mx

The only reference to port 5555 in regard to mxHero is in the wiki, but it doesn't relate to this problem, is there a limit I need to change to allow more messages through at once?

Thanks,
    Gary

• Marcelo Angel Marmol

Can you tell me how many email are going through your installation ? and some hardware specifications? Thanks

Also, some malformed mails are rejected by javamail, in those case we are not able to process them since mxhero is based in that lib. Not so sure if that might be the case. In our production environments those emails are Spam or some bad quality mailing list, we haven't see any real email been dropped by that.

• Gary Lee

Gary Lee - 2012-03-19

Hi, we get around 2500 messages going through a day (soon to be more with the addition of another domain), hardware wise its a UK2 VPS, 4GB RAM, 50GB Disk, 8 CPU.
    The message that got stopped in this instance is an email from ScrewFix, the user has signed up for the mailing list, whilst it is marketing, I'd consider it to be legitimate.

• Marcelo Angel Marmol

Hi, we have a server using less than 30% of the CPU for more than 250.000 messages day, it shouldn't be a problem the load.
    It looks like something else, can you reproduce the issue? Is there any way to send us the exact email that is presenting the issue so we can have a look?

• Marcelo Angel Marmol

Also, check in the /opt/mxhero/log/mxhero.log when then email is been rejected, if there is some kind of parsing problem you should be able to see a java stacktrace over there.

Cheers!

• Gary Lee

Gary Lee - 2012-03-19

Hi I don't have a copy of the email to send to you and I've checked the mxhero.log but there's nothing around that time that relates to this message, I've done a grep on that file for the sender but nothing is returned, there are however a few other log entries around the time for different messages that have been dropped?

• Marcelo Angel Marmol

Hi, usually you will found something like this on mxhero.log

00:39:22.078  org.mxhero.engine.plugin.postfixconnector.internal.snmp.SMTPMessageListener:57 - rejecting malformed email
    javax.mail.internet.ParseException: Expected '=', got "null"
            at javax.mail.internet.ParameterList.<init>(ParameterList.java:247)

Now thinking about it the log doesn't say much… I'll add a more detailed message for 1.5.0 release since 1.4.0 is closed at this point.
    Once more all the cases that have that kind of error is related to a wrong header, in most cases in the content-type of any part on the email. I wont be able to give you a fix for that since is a problem related to javamail library and a wrong formatted email from the sender. That wont happen with real people writing emails, as you just pointed it out is an email from ScrewFix marketing list.
    If you manage to send me the email that is giving the error I could give it a look and see if anything else is possible.

Cheers!

• Gary Lee

Gary Lee - 2012-03-19

On the last 2 days of logs there are no messages that match what you've posted, the only error I can see is this one:

19:30:01.019  org.mxhero.engine.plugin.clamd.internal.command.SingleClamavScan:123 - error while scanning

Seeing warning: lost connection with proxy 127.0.0.1:5555 in the mail log made me wonder wether the message is even getting that far?

• Diana Lauren Anderson

bump

• Marcelo Angel Marmol

dlauren, I can really reproduce that error. So far we havent see anything about mxhero loosing a connection. Only emails bad formed get rejected and you may find them at the mail.log as rejected by mxhero, but you should see also on the mxhero log something saying that.
    Also not sure what version you have, but try to upgrade to 1.6.0.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks