Feature Request: screensaver + now playing?

mclient
2005-10-10
2013-06-03
  • Bryan P. Pourciau

Title says it all.  How easy/difficult would it be to replace the bounding "mvpmc" with the information normally displayed by the "now playing" display in the mclient window?

• Rick Stuart

Rick Stuart - 2005-10-10

That does should good!

Off the top of my head, I don't know.   But, if I were to guess, I would say the screen saver is a graphic widget and what you are suggesting is to replace it with a dialog or text widget.

I'll look into it...  or if you do, let me know what you find...

...thanks

• Jon Gettler

Jon Gettler - 2005-10-10

Rick,

The screensaver is a black widget covering the entire screen.  The mvpmc logo widget is reparented to this black widget when the screensaver comes on, and then the logo widget is moved around the screen once a second.

So you could simply use the mclient widget instead of the logo widget, and move it around the screen.  However, you may wish to do it less than once a second, so the text is easily readable.  You may also wish to vary the color to prevent burn-in, since that mclient widget is rather large.

Or perhaps you will come up with a better idea.

• Rick Stuart

Rick Stuart - 2005-10-25

The mclient screen saver should work now.  It will become active if mclient owns the GUI.  If mclient is left playing and does not own the GUI (like if you were taking your time reading the About), the normal screen saver will become active.  I did this because mclient will not update the mclient screen saver widget or respond to the remote control if it does not own the GUI.  Let me know if there are any issues.

• Bryan P. Pourciau

Excellent work, Rick!  It works just as I imagined it.

By the way, is there a switch for the "mvpmc" command (or some other configuration method) to designate the time between "jumps" for the screensaver?

• Rick Stuart

Rick Stuart - 2005-10-26

No, it's hard coded.  I think the logo widget jumps around once per second and the mclient widget jumps around about once every 10 seconds.  A "friend" suggested it should look more like a slow moving ping pong ball.  I'm not sure, but I think is was kidding.