Any plan of full-fledged MythTV front end?

MythTV
phabulosa
2006-09-08
2013-06-03
  • phabulosa

phabulosa - 2006-09-08

I am wondering if there is any plan/progress in developing MVPMC as a full-fledged mythtv front end client.

The MOST wanted feature of mine is to use MVPMC as front end to control and watch LIVE TV (Including pause, fast forward, instand replay etc.). Watching recorded show is not that much fan because I am not a guy who will read the TV guide and decide what to RECORD.

I may go with Windows Media Center + Xbox 360 as an extender, because I cannot find a quite/cheap equipment as MVPMC and use it as the MythTV frontend.

• phabulosa

phabulosa - 2006-09-08

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the feature list.
      It seems that MVPMC can stream live TV from mythtv, but the unsolved feature is "scheduled recording".

So, my understanding now is that MVPMC can:

1. stream live TV from mythtv
      2. can pause, forward, rewind live TV

MVPMC can NOT:
      1. Schedule recording
      2. Commercial skip

Am I right?

and is there any plan for the unfulfilled features? 

• RichardBronosky

RichardBronosky - 2006-09-15

You will see here http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1566766&forum_id=501875 that your "can" list is correct.

I will point out to you that based on your first post:
      [quote]
      Watching recorded show is not that much fan because I am not a guy who will read the TV guide and decide what to RECORD.
      [/quote]
      You do not care about #1 on your "can NOT" list.  Commercial flagging is a process that is executed on a recorded program, not live TV.  So even a full blown MythTV system cannot commercial skip live TV.  (You can however set flagging to occur before the recording ends, watch a recording in progress, and skip the commercials as you encounter them in a rears.)

I would also like to address:
      [quote]
      I may go with Windows Media Center + Xbox 360 as an extender, because I cannot find a quite/cheap equipment as MVPMC and use it as the MythTV frontend.
      [/quote]

let's put this statement into logical terms:
      Because you cannot get $300 frontend system results from a <$100 device you choose to use a >$100 operating system and buy a >$300 X-Box to use as a frontend.  You are willing to give up on MythTV and use a solution that lacks freedom, uses DRM, and does not offer you commercial skipping, instead of just using the same X-Box as a MythTV Frontend.

I realize the the Freedom in Free (capital F) Software can be frustrating because of the research involved.  You must realize that all Freedom comes with great responsibility.  Emotion is expensive, logic and home ownership are the only real bargains in this life.

• phabulosa

phabulosa - 2006-09-18

Thank you for the answers.

However, I still want to know when MVPMC can become a full fledged mythtv frontend. I mean, it can show TV schedule and set up recording schedules.

• vdb

vdb - 2006-09-23

Watching TV and scheduling recordings is already possible with the latest dongles available from the "daily build" download section.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks