No skip-fwd on playback of transcoded xvid's

MythTV
2006-12-22
2013-06-03
  • Marc Aronson

Marc Aronson - 2006-12-22

I have some myth recordings that I have transcoded from mpeg2 to xvid using mencoder at 900kbps. I am using VLC-0.85 and the standard mvp 0.3.2 download. The skip-forward / skip-back functions work perfectly on various 30 minute recordings, but they don't have any impact on the playback of 1-hour recordings. Some other interesting observations from playback of the 1-hour recording:

1. If I hit the FF or REW button, I move forward / backward "2%" for each click.

2. If I hit a number, I properly move to that correct place in the video. ie: Hitting "3" takes me to the 30% point.

It's only the skip-forward / skip backward functions that don't work. On a 30-minute video, these functions move me forward 30-seconds and backwards 15 seconds, as expected, but they have no impact when watching a 60-minute recording.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Marc

• Marc Aronson

Marc Aronson - 2006-12-22

Martin, in case you read this, I just saw you're other post about "connect.log". Here is what I have in "connect.log"

VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!VLC: Detected overflow bug - cannot do second seek!del mvpmc

Also, I need to correct the comment I labled as point "1" in my previous post ("1. If I hit the FF or REW button, I move forward / backward "2%" for each click."). The 2% movement comes from hitting the right/left buttons, not FF/REW. Thanks!

Marc

• MVallevand

MVallevand - 2006-12-22

Marc, I don't actively follow this forum, and I'm not sure of Rob, who did all the great work on vlc, does either, (this isn't myth related at all).  If Rob is trapping the error in mvpmc via the connect.log it sounds like the error is what it he is saying, a VLC bug.  My suggestion is to upgraded to vlc 0.8.6 and then resend this in a more appropriate forum, or the mailing lists.  I prefer the mailing lists, I find the sourceforge forums a royal pain.

Martin

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks