Close

Odd behavior when seen from other browsers

Help
okieman
2011-01-16
2013-04-17
  • okieman

okieman - 2011-01-16

I subscribed to a service called BrowserCam that lets me view my website from other operating systems and browsers. This has revealed two problems with XSPF_player.

1-From a Mac using Safari, the cover image does not load. Instead the song links take up the full width including where the album cover is supposed to be. (I've also seen this when using Google Chrome from Windows XP.)
    2-Of all the browsers I tried on the Mac only one (FireFox) displayed a functioning Info box/button below the album cover. The rest displayed nothing at all there.

XSPF_player is supposed to be a reliable mp3 player. It's been around for years and has inspired numerous spin-offs and alternate versions. There should be a solution to the problems I'm having, but I'm finding support for this player to be very weak. I'd love to hear from ANYONE with comments about my two problems. Thanks.

• Robert Wyatt

Robert Wyatt - 2011-01-16

Is it possible that the problem is with the BrowserCam software? Have you asked anyone on that list? I use a Mac with Safari and it displays may players just fine. Perhaps you'd like to provide the URL so that we can have a look at it…?

• okieman

okieman - 2011-01-16

BrowserCam isn't software. It's a service that enables subscribers to connect to a server farm. Various computers are set up in Windows, Mac OS, Linux, etc. with multiple browsers. Once I'm connected, I actually look at my own site through one of those real computers. Anyway here's the link to my page where I've done the most work to get the player working … http://www.keithpurtell.com/kthings/fripp.htm

• Robert Wyatt

Robert Wyatt - 2011-01-16

First off, nice site, love Frippertronics.

Second, the player plays on Mac with FireFox, SeaMonkey, Safari, and Camino, including providing links to Amazon from the info box.

The album covers look fine (once the music starts playing) on all of these browsers.

The only issue is that the table looks a bit skewed.

Third, your players are more complex than mine, invoking separate text lists. I'm not familiar with this method. Here's what my players look like: http://bentones.us/ So unfortunately, if I'm to help here, it would involve a learning curve. Perhaps you could tell me whether you might have used any "tools" to build your players, like Google Site tools for instance.

Last two notes, when I remove the "If IE"  workaround code:
    <!->->
    --
    <!-<!->
    that is, both occurrences of it, I'm left without a player at all, but rather have only a bulleted text list. This suggests to me that the code isn't correct to start with (because surely the intent isn't to have the players work only in IE).

If my Mac browsers are being affected anyway by these statements, then there's something else wrong with those statements because they're not intended to affect Macs.

Cheers,
    Robert

• okieman

okieman - 2011-01-16

Robert, thanks for the compliment. Which "table" looks skewed? I compared my player to yours and noticed that since mine is in transparent mode, if gives the appearance that the album cover on the left doesn't line up with the top left bar, and the song list box on the other side has the same problem at top right. The absence of a background color looks like things are a pixel or two off. Is that what you're talking about?

I was looking at your page source, and it shows that we're using the same basic method/player. Other than the fact that my embedding code has more parameters, the other difference is your playlist file name ends with the extension .xspf. The server where my site is hosted couldn't handle that, so a Web guru I contacted suggested I leave the playlist contents intact (xml format) and just chage the playlist file extension to .txt. It worked.

Last, those "if / endif" statements are part of a new embedding technique called SWFObject. It solves a lot of problems with other Flash embedding methods across different browsers like IE, Firefox, etc. It is also designed so that, if the site visitor doesn't have Flash installed, they see alternate text. Normally that default is a link to the Adobe site to download and install Flash. In my case, the alternate text is the list containing direct links to the mp3 files. I assume/hope that what you saw in the bulleted text list were links??

My version of the xspf_player came from musicplayer.sourceforge.net - I'm curious where you got yours??

• Robert Wyatt

Robert Wyatt - 2011-01-17

That URL will redirect but I've used it because it's permanent.

Anyhow, the player looks identical in all of the browsers, so if it's what you want, then no problem. Mind you, I'm using Mac OS 10.6.5 and haven't tried it on 10.4 or 10.5, but I wouldn't expect any different results.

Here's what it looks like while it's playing:

… as I mentioned the "info" link takes one to Amazon.

Regarding the if/endif stuff, I looked at it again right now and it seems to work just fine without those statements on Safari (the player worked) but on the FireFox-based browsers (FireFox, SeaMonkey, and Camino) it was a bulleted list of relative links to the mp3 files, just as you said it should be.

Let me know if I didn't respond to something,
    Robert

• okieman

okieman - 2011-01-17

First of all that you so much for going to this trouble to help. I've spent a ton of time on finding/implementing a music player on this site. Surprising and frustrating but I've learned and ironed out most the bugs. I'll take the info you gave me and talk to the people at SWFObject about the failure of that code in those browsers. Once repaired I'll be close to done, and can use a repaired version of the code on all the music pages. Lord I hope if I ever decide to embed video or some other media it's not this complex!

• okieman

okieman - 2011-01-17

Oh I forgot to ask were you found your copy of the xspf_player? There are at least a half-dozen versions that I know of.

• Robert Wyatt

Robert Wyatt - 2011-01-17

You're welcome, there's not much traffic on this list. I don't know where I got the player originally, probably from the project page since I would have been concerned about malicious code. It would have been a number of years ago and I haven't changed any of them since although we may have an album or two to add this year.