Can the mumble server see my (regular user) IP when i connect to it?

Help
Johnny
2014-07-23
2014-07-23
  • Johnny

Johnny - 2014-07-23

Hello. New to mumble here, concerned about safety, IP related:

I was recently invited to try mumble but i am concerned that the person who operates the server where it is hosted can see my IP. I simply refuse to take the chance that anyone who is not my close friend knows my IP, because of previous experiences.

If anyone could clarify this i would be very grateful. I understand sometimes these questions dont have a straight yes or no answer and to help narrow it down i can tell you that im using windows vista 32 bit, sp 2. Im using the windows firewall with exclusions to a small number of popular softwares and im using no antivirus or other type of protection.
    I cant use a proxy like im doing now, since the reason for using mumble is playing a fast paced game so using a proxy is an excluded option, so it really is up to weather or not the server owner can see the IP that im connecting to the server with or not?

If the answer is "Yes, the one who hosts the server can see your IP" then my followup questions are -
    Is there a configuration setting in the mumble software (not murmur!) that hides my IP?
    or
    Is there some workaround like an addon that proxies only mumble or some such solution? I'm not very good with computers but i understand there is so much software out there, that theres probably someone who's written something like this.

• Natenom

Natenom - 2014-07-23
    1. Yes, the hoster can see it.
    2. and 3. There is no setting to hide your IP but you can use Mumble in conjunction with a Proxy or TOR (see network settings in Mumble when "Advanced" settings are enabled).

• Johnny

Johnny - 2014-07-23

If i understand correctly i can use for example TOR as a proxy with the built in proxy support in the mumble client?

• Natenom

Natenom - 2014-07-23

Correct.

• Johnny

Johnny - 2014-07-23

Thats a great tip i will try it, thank you!

• Johnny

Johnny - 2014-07-23

Is there some "for fun" mumble server that i can test this setup and see if it was successful? Where i can do some command or ask the owner for my IP to verify it?

Last edit: Johnny 2014-07-23

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks