Trouble with NAT traversal

Help
M^3
2006-11-09
2012-10-30
  • M^3

M^3 - 2006-11-09

I am running murmur on a test server on my work LAN. We have a sonicwall router/firewall here and I have the port for mumble/murmur forwarded to its IP address for both TCP and UDP. All of the firewall policies are also (most likely) configured properly as well, but I cannot connect to murmur from outside the LAN. I also have Teamspeak running on this server and that works fine from both inside and outside our network. We have set up the rules a couple times and have yet to get it to work. Could the problem be with murmur or mumble? I had a certified sonicwall administrator set up the rules the last time, so he should know what he is doing, even if I had missed something.

• David McKeon

David McKeon - 2006-11-10

I use a double firewall and it works fine on 2wire, then linux Iptables based. Its doable, perhaps you do not have the correct port working? can you post your config?

• Thorvald Natvig

Thorvald Natvig - 2006-11-09

I'm not familiar with sonicwall, so I can't comment on that particular solution, but in general mumble/murmur is very NAT friendly. A simple way to check if your rules are working is to simply telnet from a outside machine to the ip/port of murmur. If you get a connection then stuff should be working. If you can't then something is wrong with the rules somewhere.

• M^3

M^3 - 2006-11-10

funny enough I just tried that 10 minutes before reading your post and the connection was refused. Hmmm. Back to the firewall/NAT drawing board for me I guess.