Help installing server

Help
search66
2007-11-07
2012-10-30
  • search66

search66 - 2007-11-07

I've been looking around and haven't found adequate documentation for setting up and running a Murmur server... Can someone review my details and advise? Would REALLY appreciate it!

Apache version 1.3.39 (Unix)
    PHP version 5.1.6
    MySQL version 5.0.37-standard-log
    Architecture x86_64
    Operating system Linux
    Dedicated Ip Address YES
    Kernel version 2.6.22-9_1.BHsmp

I use BlueHost.com as my host... Thanks in advance for your help.

• javitonino

javitonino - 2007-11-07

Murmur is a program you need to install, run and so on. So unless you have direct access to the server (like installing things and stuff) you will not be able to do that. But I don't think they give you access to the server, as it's a web hosting provider, and they usually just give you a folder where to upload the files.
      So, I think you will not be able to host murmur (and any other program) on that server. Of course, I may be totally wrong, as I don't know about Bluehost, but maybe you can ask them.

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-07

I do have access to install things. I have a dedicated IP address as well as shell access.

Thanks for your response.

• Sebastian Schlingmann

Installation should be fairly straight-forward.
        Log in to your server, then download the murmur-static archive from sourceforge.

After extracting it go through the settings in the ini file.

Then follow the instructions here: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Running_Murmur

After all that Murmur should be running.
        It might be advisable to set up some ACL's as described in the wiki.

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-07

Thanks again, and I'm making progress. I have it extracted to my server now and could use a hand configuring it.

Do I need to set up a database? I created a MYSQL database, but unsure of the values I need to put in the ini file if any.

I'm also having problems running the murmur.pl or murmur.sh

• Sebastian Schlingmann

If you do not setup a specific database Murmur creates a SQLite database (it consists of just one file murmur.sqlite in the current dir).

Usually you could just extract, run ./murmur.x86 -supw <password> und then run something like screen -d -m ./murmur.x86

After that Murmur should be running. Thats all.

murmur.pl is a cgi script for user management. It has to be executed by a webserver.

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-07

OK... I'm almost there! (thanks for your patience)...

I'm trying to add a user (I'm using sqlite) so I can administrate, but can't get murmur.pl to work... It says:

Software error:

Missing configuration at murmur.pl line 45

I checked line 45 and it's pretty ubiquitous...

• Sebastian Schlingmann

You'll have to configure the Perl script to use it.

Open murmur.pl in some editor and customize the values between lines 18 and 32.
        The important parts are $dbpath (full path to the sqlite file), $emailfrom (email address the script uses as sender for outgoing messages like password reminder) and $emailserver (usually localhost).

Alternatively you could use the shell script from the wiki: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Running_Murmur#Adding_Registered_Users

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-07

I'm really at a loss here... I'm so close, and Mumble is actually working... I just can't add a user no matter what.

I added murmur.pl to my cgi-bin and get this error:

install_driver(SQLite) failed: Can't locate DBD/SQLite.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.2 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at (eval 7) line 3.
      Perhaps the DBD::SQLite perl module hasn't been fully installed,
      or perhaps the capitalisation of 'SQLite' isn't right.
      Available drivers: DBM, ExampleP, File, Gofer, Multiplex, Pg, Proxy, Sponge, mysql.
      at murmur.pl line 49

I'm sure the path is right to murmur.sqlite...

I also tried the sh file and get this:

[younotak@box345 murmur]$ ./config.sh --help
      : bad interpreter: No such file or directory

I feel like Im so close but so far away.

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-07

Figured out how to fix the script... I did this... (just in case anyone else had the same issue)

1. renamed config.sh
      2. tr -d '\r'< config.sh.bak > config.sh
      3. chmod +x config.sh

Worked like a charm. Thanks again for everyones help.

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-08

Well.... I thought everything was OK... but... I have NO sound! When others join and talk I can't hear them... I can't even see their lips turning red (the same goes for them).

Anyone have any advice?

Here is the Mumble server name if you'd like to help test:

alienjackhammer.com (default port)

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-08

Just spoke to my host and they confirmed that UPD is NOT blocked and all is well with that... Help!

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-08

May have figured it out... I put my IP in the INI file... will update... (hey this may be good for other nubs like myself!)

• search66

search66 - 2007-11-08

Just wanted to update... That was the trick... Needed to put my static IP in the ini...

Woot!

• Oshkash

Oshkash - 2008-02-04

where do you put I.P. address in INI. file ???? thanks