Configuration UI Suggestions

Help
2007-11-18
2012-10-30
  • Don Stauffer

Don Stauffer - 2007-11-18

First, thank you for a very well-written program. It's the only one I have found which will run under Vista 64 (most don't at all) and not have speech come through stuttering.

Here are some picky observations from using the Mumble Configuration window:

In the configuration window's sidebar, the ASIO icon only appears after you set Basic Audio Interfaces Input to ASIO, but even then not until you OK to exit configuration and then go back in. I don't even think clicking Apply adds the ASIO icon. If you then change back to Direct Sound, the ASIO icon doesn't go away, which is inconsistent. It seems like the ASIO icon should either be there from the start and never go away, or the sidebar should refresh and the ASIO icon appear as soon as you change the interface, and go away in a similar manner. I think a typical interface would have the ASIO icon there at all times but have the associated controls grayed out if appropriate. (Typically this would be a tabbed dialog).

Another issue is I have trouble associating the sidebar icons with their text in my mind, because the text labels appear just as close to the icon below as to the one above.

I find the sidebar icons a little overly complex and they don't conjure an immediate idea of what each is for (which I know is a really hard thing to do, especially with abstract concepts, but very valuable). Even simplifying the icons so the mind can take in the picture quickly would help.

Also, it would be good to make the sidebar resizeable by dragging.

• Don Stauffer

More info:

The first time, "Expert Config" does not make the ASIO icon appear until you Ok and restart the Configuration window. So, there is some inconsistency there.

• Don Stauffer

(Just thought of this: if you do make the sidebar resizeable, I'd recommend you make it save the size when the Configuration window closes, even via the Cancel button)

• Don Stauffer

OK, when I commented on the ASIO icon, I wasn't thinking about the added complication of the "Expert Config" checkbox, which seems to be what really controls the ASIO icon's visibility. Sorry about that; please disregard the first item above.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks