suggestions for mumble

Hellis
2007-10-27
2012-10-30
  • Hellis

Hellis - 2007-10-27
    • Recording of conversations (Please don't do something like Ventrilo, that system is flawed beyond talking about! Using VRF files that no other program, that I know of, play it, except Ventrilo itself.)
    • Allowing users to register with the server
    • Less TTS messages (Perhaps you could make some TTS messages pop-up in the overlay.)
    • Webcam capabilities (I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having a low bandwidth server/client but there has to be a way.)
    • Implementing something like Xfire, where other players can see what game he or she is playing (I know this is rather pointless, however you could add "Jump in game" possibilities just like Xfire, maybe go a step further and connect to the server he or she is playing on. I realize this is targeting gamers, but think of your audience.)

I'm still trying to figure out how to compile mumble but if I figure it out I'll trying a couple of the above!
    (I'm at the last step: the whole qmake thing isn't producing any EXE's for me.)

Thanks for the support, the program, and your time.

• Pilot_51

Pilot_51 - 2007-10-28

Why not just use Xfire for that game feature? Xfire is a very good program and I don't see any reason for gamers not to use it.
      I suppose the best Mumble could do is just integrate Xfire functionality by communicating with Xfire and handing off requests to the Xfire program. That might require talking it over with the Xfire devs, but Xfire seems very open to sharing data with other programs that call for it.
      There's no point in building an "Xfire alternative" from the ground up until Xfire becomes old like a number of voice chat programs have, which I doubt would happen for a long time.

• M^3

M^3 - 2007-10-29

Actually, I have had problems running both Mumble and xfire at the same time when using Dungeon Siege 2 (directx 9 game)
        The game will often crash if I have both running. I assume it is because they are both trying to inject textures into the display in a way that conflicts. I didn't really consider it a bug (more like a conflict) so I didn't report it.

• Thorvald Natvig

Thorvald Natvig - 2007-10-27

Please have a look at the feature request tracker, the wiki and these forums. With the exception of the "what game are you playing", all of the above have been adressed. Adding support for games requires someone to continously update a list of game executables. Nobody on the development team has time for this, so it's not going to happen anytime soon.

• Thorvald Natvig

Thorvald Natvig - 2007-10-27

Er. I should probably elaborate; "adding support for a list of all possible games". We do support games in general ;)

• Lord C

Lord C - 2007-10-29

"Xfire is a very good program and I don't see any reason for gamers not to use it. "

How about if you don't use Windows? :)

• Pilot_51

Pilot_51 - 2007-10-29

Let me reword that then...
        Xfire is a very good program and I don't see any reason for Windows gamers not to use it.