Support multi language

mapi
2006-09-30
2012-10-30
  • mapi

mapi - 2006-09-30

Multi language will support?
    I tell it for my friends but they hate English...;)
    We want multi language GUI.

Sorry poor english.
    thx

• Thorvald Natvig

Thorvald Natvig - 2006-09-30

Mumble uses the Qt translation system, and hence you can use the Qt linguist tools to provide a translation. However, we lack translators, so until someone steps up, it will remain English only. (Hint! ;))

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

I can translate Mumble into Spanish. The funny thing is that I was thinking about proposing this same feature just a few days ago.

I've never used the Qt linguist tools before, but they doesn't seem to be very hard to use. Anyway, do you have any advice that I should be aware of?

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

By the way, I found Qt Linguist 3.0.4 here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/psi/qtlinguist-3.0.4.zip?download

I couldn't find the download in the Qt web site. It seems you have to download the entire Qt Toolkit just to get Qt Linguist.

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

I've downloaded Qt Linguist but it needs a .ts file (Qt translation source). I couldn't find one neither in the Mumble source package nor in the subversion repository. How can I get that file?

• Thorvald Natvig

Thorvald Natvig - 2006-10-01

I'll need to generate one. The Mumble source uses the tr() constructs in most places, but as we had no translators, I didn't generate the ts file. Hmm.. Actually, if you give me a few days to clean this up a bit, I'll make sure to add tr() constructs to the few places where we currently have hardcoded english strings and then add the .ts file to SVN.

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

Ok. I'll check this forum frequently, so just give an indication when the file is ready and I'll try to translate it.

Thanks, me and my friends will really appreciate having Mumble in our native language.

• Thorvald Natvig

Thorvald Natvig - 2006-10-02

There's now a mumble_es.ts in SVN, which should work with any QT4 linguist tool.

Please be aware that there are quite a few grammar error in the english source, and I'm not quite sure how qt linguist handles it when we change the source text. So.. Be aware things might break ;)

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

The spanish translation is ready. I uploaded it as a patch.

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

Thanks. I'll try to finish it soon but until the weekend I'll be a bit busy. I hope Mumble won't change too much by then :)

• Álvaro M. Recio Pérez

Just an update. I have translated 179 of the 479 sentences so far. Only 300 to go!