Paginated PDF output

2012-12-29
2012-12-30
  • Michael Daniels

Michael Daniels - 2012-12-29

Hello,

First of all, kudos for this great tool! I just found it out and it is already pretty invaluable to me.

I have a question though regarding the PDF output. My wish is having a paginated PDF output that would be generated automatically from a large MSC (so pages are created automatically with the header on top of each page). I found out that PDF export is supported and pagination as well, with the ability to include the header at the top of each page, but this is actually not automatic (based on the page size).

Am I missing something here?

Also on a side note... sorry to ask but, what is the actual PDF output format? I see XML inside the XML with SVG stuff, but I don't quite understand how to open this into Acrobat Reader. Maybe there is a mix-up with the SVG output?

Thank you,
    Michael

• Zoltán Turányi

Hi Michael,

Thanks for contacting me and for using the tool.

You are right. I have checked and indeed, PDF output is damaged (at least on Windows). (What platform do you use?) I use the cairo library to generate output and last time I checked this, it worked. So this is definitely a bug and I will look into it.

Right now output for multi-page charts is going each page into a separate file. It seems a sensible idea to place all pages into a single PDF file, since that format supports this. I take note of this and will put it in when I have time.

I did not think of adding automatic pagination so far. Coming to think about it, it actually makes sense. I will have to think about it, how this mixes with other features I have. One question: There is no inherent cm-size of a chart. I count in (logical) pixels and have no specific mapping to real-world measurement units. (The only place to meet the real world is when printing from the Windows version. Then a very basic algorithm is used: the width of the chart is adjusted to the width of the paper and if the page is longer than the physical page it is simply truncated. Clearly one can improve this.) Do you have any idea on what language construct would be a good way to somehow introduce the concept of a real-world page size and how could one easily work with zooming and automatic pagination? Any ideas are appreciated, even if just seeds of a solution.

Thank you for supporting my effort with the helpful comments above.

• Michael Daniels

Michael Daniels - 2012-12-30

Hi Zoltán,

Thank you for your quick answer, this is much appreciated! I thought I replied to your email this morning, but for some reasons my answer is not showing up.

Yes the issue I am seeing is on Windows. I think I may also have an issue with msc-gen. It is showing "Success." in the command line, but no file is written as output.

I thought about the various options for translating the logical pixels to real-world measurement. The option of adjusting the chart width to the page width does not work well for me mostly because when printing-out several charts, the font size will always be different, so the charts will not look coherent.

The option looking the best to me is to specify the text size in points (1pt is 1/72 inches). With such an approach, various print-outs will look coherent. If a too-big font is used and the chart cannot fit the width of the page, it is simply truncated. How does this sound?

I hope this is useful.

Best regards,
    Michael

• Zoltán Turányi

Hi Michael,

This sounds fair. I will attempt to do it, but please allow some time - I will not be able to do it quick. :-(

Happy New Year!
    Zoltán

• Michael Daniels

Michael Daniels - 2012-12-30

Hi Zoltán,

Thank you for your help! By the way, I sent you a private message, but not sure if it went through successfully.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Best wishes,
    Michael

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks