Menu

OCIO loading slowness

Bugs
2021-02-16
2021-02-17
  • Pablo Gimenez

Pablo Gimenez - 2021-02-16

Hello.
    I have recently noticed that mrViewer wasn't as snappier as it was before on start.
    It used to be pretty quick, and I loved that.
    We have switch to the latest OCIO, aces_1.2 and we are using using mrViewer 5.7.2.
    Now when loading images it looks like starting pretty quick and then hangs for around 5 second and open.
    If I disabled OCIO it opens the same image super fast.
    No idea if it is the latest OCIO or something in mrViewer.
    Thanks!

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-02-16

Check out what your lut grid is set to. If it is set too high (like 256x256x256) it will take a while to open mrViewer.

Last edit: ggarra13 2021-02-16
  • Pablo Gimenez

Pablo Gimenez - 2021-02-16

Ah great to know, it was set tot 128, I put it to 32.
    Is a little bit faster, no idea what are the cons of using 32x32x32 .
    Any other way to optimize the color correction?
    Thanks!

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-02-17

The cons are that the quality of the lut will be very poor. I was wrong and 128x128x128 is the default, so you shouldn't change it.
    The problem you are seeing, I believe, is the time it takes to load the new aces_1.2 file which is a huge set of files (almost 2GB+). That being the case there isn't much I can do about it.

• Pablo Gimenez

Pablo Gimenez - 2021-02-17

I'm just talking without knowing how things are working internally, but I suppose that what takes time is loading all the luts files in the lut and baked folders.
    OCIO 2.0 is around the corner, and this guys are converting this thing into a monster, is even bigger than 1.2, so this problem can scalate.
    I wonder, would be possible to first read the config.ocio, file, fill all the UI menus with it, then look into the input files metadata to work out wha transforms needs to be applied, load ONLY the luts needed to show the image and show it to the user, keep loading the sequence and in the back ground, in a different thread, or when the sequence is loaded, then load the rest of OCIO in case the user want to play with different color spaces.
    I think the idea of loading OCIO in the background is going to improve the user experience.

Thanks!

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-02-17

I'm just talking without knowing how things are working internally, but I suppose that what takes time is loading all the luts files in the lut and baked folders.

More than likely that's the case, albeit I am also unfamiliar with OCIO internals.

What you propose is probable doable, but not by me who lacks the knowledge.