mplayer and mozilla 1.3 problems

Help
2003-04-09
2003-04-16
  • Bob Hoffman

Bob Hoffman - 2003-04-09

I am losing my mind. Mplayer works fine from the command line. If I am using the browser and try to stream an .asf file (Yahoo news and video) I have two different situations:

If I use mplayer as a helper application, I can watch the video but do not get any sound. 

If I use the mplayerplug-in, I get sound but no video.

If I play a local .asf file, everything is fine.

Keep me out of the insane asylum, my insurance won't cover it.

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2003-04-10

Hum, that is really a strange issue. I'm a running RedHat 9, with mplayer (make sure you have the 0.90 release and not any pre or rc releases).

Also, you may want to upload your mplayerplug-in.conf if you have one so that I can see it.

Kevin

• Bob Hoffman

Bob Hoffman - 2003-04-11

I looked in several obvious places then searched the entire computer and could not find a file mplayerplug-in.conf

Is there an example file somewhere I can use?  I have been playing some more.  I can play a local file fine but if I do
        mplayer (some url) all I get is the video...
        it says cannot open audio  device or resource busy   but it works fine if I play a local file

I am stumped

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2003-04-11

add ao=arts for KDE or ao=esd for GNOME to $HOME/.mplayer/config and see if that corrects your sound issues

• Bob Hoffman

Bob Hoffman - 2003-04-12

tried every combination I could think of. Mplayer and mplayerplug-in play local files fine with audio and video but trying to play a clip from a url brings only video...I get a message that it cannot initialize sound device..

....but if it is a local file it works fine.

I give.

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2003-04-12

Sounds like a problem you need to get resolved at the mplayer-user mailing list.  I have never heard of such of a problem with mplayer. Do you have specific examples that you could share so that I could take a look and maybe confirm the problem? Did you go thruough the "testing" portion of the HOWTO page? On the mplayerplug-in home page?

Kevin

• Bob Hoffman

Bob Hoffman - 2003-04-12

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid=968

click on any of these links and you will get a javascript window to choose media player or real player.

if I click on the media player version, mplayer runs the video fine but no sound. If I paste it to the command line, same result.

• Kevin DeKorte

Kevin DeKorte - 2003-04-16

I do have some trouble with that site. I get sound but no video with Mozilla 1.3 on RH 9. Yahoo is sending a windows of size 1x336 for us to draw into. which is no good. The only work around I can find at this

in mplayerplug-in.conf set
      fileonly-embed=0

Kevin

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

JavaScript is required for this form.

No, thanks