progress Movix2, and some questions

2004-04-20
2004-07-28
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-04-20

Hi all,

I recently found out about the Movix project, and I must say, it's great!
    First I tried Movix, since I liked the idea of a simple non-graphic (fast booting etc) menu, so I booted from the CD. It worked perfectly. The install.pl script ran ok too, I got Movix installed on an 13GB FAT16 formatted HD. Unfortunately I own an NVidia GF2, so there's no accellerated playback in Movix, and the movies didn't play smoothly (on a P3 450, 256MB).

So I tried Movix2. Installing on HD was more difficult, as was enabling the TV-Out. I got it installed by first making the HD bootable with DOS 7.10a. After copying the /src dir to c:\movix2 I got it booted with loadlin.exe. Adding a line in autoexec.bat has automated everything.

TV-Out was more difficult, and I needed to edit the setHardware2.pl. Everything works nicely now.

But, for my question: the last release of Movix2 has been a while ago and I was wondering if there's any progress since? I would very much like to see features such as the ftp server in Movix2, since I've got a 13GB and 6GB HD in my box, doing nothing but hosting Movix2.

Also, setting "Start Fullscreen" in the mplayer options has no effect? Is there something I need to do, to make sure the options are saved en remembered at the next boot ("mount /../.. -o remount,rw" has no effect in this matter).

Another problem is adding Samba shares with spaces in the name in the sambaVolumes. Maybe the regexp needs to change to enable optional quoted values?

A nice feature would be that, if you put a CD in the drive, Movix2 will automatically mount it and scan for a movie file. If he finds one, he should automatically play it (sorta like emovix, but not with the custom cd's).

Also, booting without a monitor connected with the NVidiaTV boot label, gives an "Wrong video mode number" error. Pressing space ignores it, and Movix2 boots just fine, but still...

Greets,

Stijn

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-04-20

Hi,
      I'm out of town and just I don't have time to answer ll your questions, I just wanted to say that I'm aware of MoviX2 being highly out-of-date and that I will soon  import in it all newest MoviX features and add a few more, so that they'll be once again at the same level.
      I think that at the very latest by the end of May MoviX2 will reach a new stable version!
      Bye,
      Roberto

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-06-28

Hi there,

any news on progress of movix2? The cvs tree doesn't seem to change a lot.

Stijn

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-06-29

Yes, as you have noticed I'm a month late but now we should be very close to release a new MoviX2 version.
        You can't see many changes in the cvs tree but that's only because I didn't have time yet to commit them :-)

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-06-29

Ahh, nice, a new release.
      Can you give some hints on the new features that will be in the new release?

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-06-30

There are two main changes:
        - X upgraded to the stable 4.4.0 version
        - added a modified MoviX menu in console: when you want a function not supported by the GUI (e.g. watching TV) you can switch to the MoviX menu and use it from there.

The modified MoviX menu is able to use both the good old console drivers (fbdev,vesa,sdl) and the ones that takes advantage of the X drivers (xv,xvidix,gl,dga).
        For example, you can use the MoviX menu *and* take advantage of the full hw acceleration of the NVidia X drivers  :-)
        Of course this way you can also choose to run the good old MPlayer menu using the X drivers.

Basically, all cool things introduced in the last months to MoviX are now in MoviX2, so that it makes sense to use the good ol' MoviX only if you are low in RAM :-)

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-07-17

Hi Stijn,
      the new MoviX2 version is finally out, please give it a try and let me know if it works fine on your PC!
      Bye,
      Roberto

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-21

I just got back from vacation, and saw the new version. Haven't had a chance to try it, as I don't have any iso bootable cdrom players in the movie box. I think I need to transfer it to it by hand by putting the HD in my own computer, and then installing it on the HD with loadlin.
      I will let you know hot it works out.

• Anonymous - 2004-07-22

Hello. MoviX is great, but with the latest MoviX2 version   and i had this troubles:

1: I cant install on HD with install.pl script.
      2: NVidiaTV label didnt work like the same lavel on MoviX. The screen on TV wasnt overscanned.
      3: I cant set sambaVolumes.

Thank you very much for this wonderful distro.
      (Sorry for my english...)

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-07-23

> 2: NVidiaTV label didnt work like the same lavel on MoviX. The screen on TV wasnt overscanned.

Compared to MoviX, the TV-Out isn't handle the same way. Instead of using nvtv and frame buffer, it's the official nVidia driver.

In the README of the nvidia driver, they say that overscan isn't supported by the GeForce2 cards; that's why i haven't enable it.

Here's a quote:
        "Overscanning is disabled (0.0) by default.
        Overscan is currently only available on GeForce4 or newer GPUs with either NVIDIA or Conexant TV encoders."

Perhaps we should add yet another boot parameter that could allow you to enable this...

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-07-23

oops, i forgot the URL to the README:
          ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-6106/README.txt

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-07-23

> had this troubles

thanks for your report, I'll try to fix these problems in the weekend!

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-23

Hi,

I got movix booting from HD right now, although not with the install.pl script. I booted from the cd (got a other cdrom player), remounted the HD rw, en copied the stuff manually. Then I copied the movix2.par and wininit.gz (not in this release! I got it from the older release), and it booted. I've got a DOS bootable partition, and use loadlin.exe in autoexec.bat.
      With the NVidiaTV label, I even get a good tv-out signal, and I think it's accelerated too.
      Now I have to add some premounted sambavolumes. Remounting the hd rw didn't work just now, haven't tried it very much though. But what happens if the box with the share to mount isn't online? I will test this.
      Also, any docs on how to work the ftp server? It's in this release right?
      Might it be possible in the future to have the Movix2 box on the network itself? So that you can aproach it through teh windows network environment?

Stijn

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-07-23

> not with the install.pl script

I know, there's some problem that I hope to fix this weekend.

> wininit.gz (not in this release!

I will check on it

> what happens if the box with the share to mount isn't online?

this may slow down the boot process, I'll make tests too

> any docs on how to work the ftp server? It's in this release right?

yes, it's in this release
        BTW, I realized just now that I did not write any doc about it! You can activate it from the MoviX menu, then you should be able to connect using 'root' as user and either nothing or 'movix' as password.
        Of course it'd be very nice if you could write some doc about it ;-)

> Might it be possible in the future to have the Movix2 box on the network itself?

if you mean to be able to boot MoviX2 from the net, that's already possible

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-23

Oops, I forgot: there's still an "wrong video mode number" right at the bootup at the very beginning. Pressing space ignores it, and then everything works fine... Do I need to change something in movix2.par?

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-24

> if you mean to be able to boot MoviX2 from the net, that's already possible
      I knew I should've been more specific on this one. I mean that the movix2 box is visible in the windows network environment, and that windows users are able copy files to it by dragging them in windows explorer. Running a samba server on movix2, as it were.

There are a couple of minor issues that have come while testing (and watching Donnie Darko) here:
      - There's a slim blue line at the bottom of the video display area
      - The video doesn't seem to stretch al the way across the screen, there are black space left on the left and right (but this might just be Donnie Darko)
      - In console mode (ALT-F3), the top 2 lines of the screen are missing: the display is moved too much to the top. Does the tv-out run in 768 or 800?
      - /hd/movix2/movix/sambaVolumes isn't working (but that's probably me, not tested it enough).
      - "wrong video mode number" error persists with the NVidiaTV label
      - setting SLOW=8 in /hd/movix2/movix/bootrc doesn't seem to have effect

Also, I tried REGION=PAL in the bootrc file, but this messed up the tv-output, allthough I'm in a PAL region (the Netherlands). Again, does the tv-out run in 768 or 800?

I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way, I think movix2 is a great program! I hope that I can be of any help by giving feedback.

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-07-24

> I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way
        hell no!

> I hope that I can be of any help by giving feedback.
        you are!

> - There's a slim blue line at the bottom of the video display area
        if you don't have that problem with other video, i believe it's the video... altho i've seen that kinda of problem with a voodoo3 using xine. i never saw that problem with mplayer (the player we're using).

> - The video doesn't seem to stretch al the way across the screen, there are black space left on the left and right

how big are the margins ? it might be cause by the lack of overscan...

> - "wrong video mode number" error persists with the NVidiaTV label

that's at boot or when loading X Windows ?

> I tried REGION=PAL in the bootrc file, but this messed up the tv-output, allthough I'm in a PAL region (the Netherlands)

In MoviX2, with the official NVidia driver, it has to be  REGION=PAL-B for Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Guinea, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Malaysia, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland...

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-07-24

> Running a samba server on movix2

you can currently upload stuff on a MoviX2 box by starting the MoviX2 ftp server (to do this switch to MoviX and use the Play->Net->Ftp server items) and then connecting to the movix2 box with any ftp client (user 'root', no passwd - it's a high security hazard, use it only if you know what you're doing!)

On the other side, I guess that window$ users would like more a movix2 integration with the M$ network, I'll try to implement what you ask for rc2 (but most likely it will only work for PCs with > 128MB of RAM since for some obscure reason samba binaries tend to be pretty big)

BTW, thanks also from me for your feedback, I'll give a look to the SLOW problem.

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-07-25

> setting SLOW=8 in /hd/movix2/movix/bootrc doesn't seem to have effect

if you are referring to the fact that you keep getting noises from your drive while playing stuff from the GUI, there's no easy solution: since drives are automatically re-mounted when you try to access them, it is necessary to re-set their speed every time you try to play anything from them.
        That's easy to do within MoviX and I managed to arrange this from within the MPlayer console interface for most of the actions you can make but I had no time to do that with the mplayer GUI. If you get big noises, just switch to MoviX  :-)

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-24

>> - "wrong video mode number" error persists with the NVidiaTV label
      > that's at boot or when loading X Windows ?

At boot, the error is: You passed an undefined mode number. Press <RETURN> to see the modes available, of <SPACE> to continu. I believe this error isn't there if a monitor is connected.

>> - The video doesn't seem to stretch al the way across the screen, there are black space left on the left and right
      > how big are the margins ? it might be cause by the lack of overscan...

They are about 1/16 of the screen at both sides.

Is there a way to save settings like sound at max volume, and skin setting?

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-07-25

> > how big are the margins ? it might be cause by the lack of overscan...

> They are about 1/16 of the screen at both sides.

if you have a GeForce 4 of better, you can add
        Option "TVOverScan" "1.0"
        to your src/movix/XF86Config-NVidia.
        That belongs in the "Device" section... around line 113.

1.0 is the extreme opposite of 0.0 (0.0 is the default value).

There still problems with the TVOut... see, my problem is that the screen isn't 100% centered, the left margin is a bit bigger than the right one...

i hope that we'll eventually be able to include the graphical nvtv. it allows great customization possibilities but i think it's quite a hassle to add right now.

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-25

I own a GF2 64MB, so the overscan option isn't possible for me I guess.
          But this is a small problem. The bigger issue for me, is that I'm not able to switch to the MoviX console interface, and thus am not able to activate things as the ftp server.
          When I click on Switch to MoviX in the menu, I get a black screen with a white block for a mouse pointer. Pressing (combinations of) alt F2 and F3 get's me back in the mixer or console (with the top, and I think right of the screen missing). Pressing alt F4 switches to X with a black screen and a cross for a pointer.
          I think I've been able to get into the MoviX console menu in the past with some key combinations, but the top of the screen was missing, so I couldn't see nor test the menu.

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-07-26

the MoviX menu is shown on the monitor, you were already of that i guess ?

I've also had problems when switching to MoviX menu (which works for me) and coming back to gmplayer...
            the background image isn't shown...

• S.J. de Reede

S.J. de Reede - 2004-07-26

Ah, it's only shown on the monitor, and not on the TV, even if there isn't a monitor connected?
              That's a bit inconvenient for me, as I've got the PC standing next to my TV, with no monitor near.

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-07-26

we have no control over that. The TVOut is handled by the nvidia X Windows driver. When you're switching to console mode (e.g. MoviX Menu), it's not X windows anymore, so it's no longer the X Windows driver that is handling the display.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks