Silly idea

2004-06-20
2004-07-13
  • Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-06-20

Has any taken a shot at integrating Goom into Movix so that Goom is displayed instead of the default Movix AVI file when playing audio?

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-06-20

If you mean Goom, the visualization plug-in for XMMS then you missed that movix uses mplayer for audio playback, not xmms.

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-06-20

Actually there is a Goom-MPlayer patch around and I tested it a few months ago :-)
        Unfortunately though, for some strange reason MPlayer uses a *lot* of CPU when Goom is on (while xmms does not!) so it's usable only with rather fast CPUs. Because of this, Goom priority in my schedule is low: it will be included eventually but there are more important things to do before that (and hopefully in the meantime someone will fix the patch so that it will run on most CPUs :-)

• Pascal Giard

That's the only place i'm able to find the path:
          http://ftp.iasi.roedu.net/mirrors/ftp.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/patches/

is it the most recent one ?

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-06-20

I fear so  :-(

• Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-06-20

Yeah, that looks to be the most recent one.  I found it in a few other places, but all with the same 20 Jan 04 date.

For what it's worth, I did some very rough benchmarks here, and goom uses around 50-60% of my P4-2.4 running as the visualization for an MP3 with xine.  Similar results with xmms.  I also got around 50-60% usage with Iris as the visualization on xmms.  In both cases, CPU usage depended very heavily on the particular display being shown and the screen resolution.

This may not be a situation we can really fix; it may just be necessary to offer goom as an option with a "not recommended" warning for slower CPUs.

• Pascal Giard

What is the CPU usage with mplayer ?

• Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-06-20

Dunno.  Haven't gotten it installed yet.  Probably won't happen until next weekend, but will post results when I do.

• Pascal Giard

alrite, looking foward to it!

• Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-06-21

Don't hold your breath...  <grin>

I've been trying to compile it and failing miserably.  It keeps dying at zoom_filter_mmx.c and my attempts to fix it are going nowhere, probably because I have zero knowledge of assembler beyond the ability to recognize it when I see it.

For the record, this is using gcc 3.3.2 against mplayer 1.0pre4 on a Gentoo system.

I'll continue to tinker with it, but I'm becoming less and less optimistic.

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-06-21

It compiles fine here with gcc3.2.2 and mplayer 1.0pre2.
                      BTW, since I were at it, I slightly modified the patch to make it compile with MPlayer 0.92, you can get a copy from
                      http://movix.sf.net/MPlayer-0.92-goom.patch.gz
                      I'm using it right now and it seems pretty stable  :-)
                      BTW, probably it doesn't even consume so much CPU after all, I had forgotten that I had tried it on a slow PC with a very old video card!
                      Moreover, you can decide not to use it and so it's not such a problem in adding it to MoviX(2) from that point of view.

There's another big problem though: apparently goom only works with 'raw audio' (i.e. .wav files or AudioCD tracks) so that to play mp3s you have to use lines like this:
                      mpg123 -qw - file.mp3 | mplayer - -vo x11 -rawaudio on -vc goom -menu

Of course this messes up a lot the movix.pl script, it would be very nice if someone could fix this so that MPlayer could 'translate' automatically a mp3 to 'raw audio' or even just call tranparently mpg123 to encode on the fly ogg/mp3 files to 'raw audio' when '-vc goom' is used.

• Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-06-21

Not too surprising that it compiles.  Most of the errors I was getting looked like syntactical stuff; I presume there were changes in how one can write inline assembly going from gcc 3.2.2 to 3.3.

Hadn't realized it would be that much of a hassle to integrate.  Don't go the trouble on *my* account!  Certainly hacking mplayer as you describe is *way*, *way* beyond my capabilities.

• Pascal Giard

Pascal Giard - 2004-06-22

Well... i don't think i'd be a bad thing to add it for AudioCDs...

I use MoviX for listening to AudioCDs alot...

• Roberto De Leo

Roberto De Leo - 2004-06-30

Ok, I'll produce asap a goom-ed mplayer version for you to test!

• Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-07-13

Just found this on the Goom website:
                              http://www.ios-software.com/index.php3?page=projet&quoi=1&where=goom/devel/index.html

Apparently the next generation of goom is being written as a shared library which they say can be added to any project fairly simply.  I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but if it works, I would think it would solve the problem with limited types of input...

• Steven Karp

Steven Karp - 2004-06-20

I hadn't known there was an MPlayer patch for it, but I knew it worked with more than just xmms, as I use it with xine on my main machine.

Glad to hear it's on the todo list, anyway.  Maybe I'll hunt down the patch and tinker with it a bit.  Doubt I can cure it, but it sounds like an entertaining project...

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks