Menu

xml file with portfolio info

Help
Marc
2008-05-28
2013-04-24
  • Marc

Marc - 2008-05-28

Hi, I was wondering if someone was using the application with thousands of stocks and transactions in a portfolio, and what was then the performance of the xml I/O? If slow, it may be more practical to port that code into a SQL DB as well. Thanks.

• Mark Hummel

Mark Hummel - 2008-05-28

Some testing would have to be done to see how performance scales with the size of the portfolio data. The porfolios for retail investors would have a small number of stocks and transactions; the porfolio for an index would  be substantially larger. A database is probably the right place for the data in the latter case. But even if there aren't measurable performance benefits, it's not a bad idea to have everything in a database, if it's available.  It would allow the user to have the same user experience on different computers.  Tack it on to the other features and it will be implemented RSN.

Mark.

• Marc

Marc - 2008-05-28

thanks.

RSN?

• Mark Hummel

Mark Hummel - 2008-05-28

"Real Soon Now". As in, I'm not sure when :)

• Marc

Marc - 2008-05-28

I'm actually coding it now. Rewriting portfolioWriter/Reader. It won't compile w/ MOV as I have a different architecture and so many other things but it may lower your workload to start from there.