2006-09-01
2013-04-24
  • Neil Telford

Neil Telford - 2006-09-01

Hi,

I have just been trying to figure out:

* How many symbols I can pass to a Watch Screen at a time
    * How large can a Watch Screen be?
    * Where this data is stored internally (I can't seem to figure this out - I am using the OSX version if this makes any difference).

My reason for asking is that I use a set of scripts to externally import data into a MySQL database, and created a Watch Screen for the main indices that I want to track.

I also need to create another Watch Screen for individual securities (maybe up to 4000 entries - possibly too ambitious?).

However, I can't seem to enter more than a few at a time - probably because I am entering a string that is too long for the system to handle.

I figured if the data for the Watch Screen was stored externally (say in XML format), I could tweak it to expand an existing Watch Screen.

Has anybody hit a ceiling on the number of securities you can display in one Watch Screen ?

Thanks
    Neil.

• Neil Telford

Hi, I just read a previous post where you advised starting MOV from the command line with increased memory.

That will explain why it appeared very sluggish and unable to handle more than a few entries at a time.

Rgds
      Neil.

• Neil Telford

Relating to the previous points above, I seem to have had a lot of problems applying equations to the contents of Watch Screens.

For example, if I apply the following simple equation 'rsi(14,0)', it sometimes works, but more often dosen't.

The output in the console is:

Exception in thread "Thread-11" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
                at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:323)
                at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteCache.getQuotesForTime(IDQuoteCache.java:231)
                at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteCache.getQuoteCacheQuote(IDQuoteCache.java:215)
                at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteCache.getQuote(IDQuoteCache.java:184)
                at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteBundle.getQuote(IDQuoteBundle.java:91)
                at org.mov.quote.MixedQuoteBundle.getQuote(MixedQuoteBundle.java:88)
                at org.mov.quote.MixedQuoteBundle.getQuote(MixedQuoteBundle.java:80)
                at org.mov.quote.QuoteBundleFunctionSource.getValue(QuoteBundleFunctionSource.java:90)
                at org.mov.quote.QuoteFunctions.rsi(QuoteFunctions.java:248)
                at org.mov.parser.expression.RSIExpression.evaluate(RSIExpression.java:59)
                at org.mov.ui.ExpressionColumn.calculate(ExpressionColumn.java:142)
                at org.mov.ui.AbstractQuoteModel.setExpressionColumns(AbstractQuoteModel.java:100)
                at org.mov.ui.AbstractTable$2.run(AbstractTable.java:283)

I've got half an idea what this relates to, but my knowledge of Java is next to minimal.

Any ideas?

• Andrew Leppard

Andrew Leppard - 2006-09-02

I've raised bug #1550969 to investigate.

thanks
          Andrew

--
          Merchant of Venice,
          Open Source Trading Software
          http://mov.sourceforge.net/

• Andrew Leppard

Andrew Leppard - 2006-09-02

Hello,

I'm not aware of any limit to the number of securities in a watch screen. It should theoretically be able to take any arbitrary number. However, a large number of entries might slow it down, especially when frequently importing intra-day data from Yahoo.

The current version of Venice stores the watch screens in Java's preferences. I believe that's stored as files in OS X, but I don't really know where. Also, they might be hard to manipulate directly.

I'm currently in the process of moving all of Venice's saved data to XML data files which live in ~/Venice/. One of the reasons is to allow people to do exactly what you are doing.

The good news is that I've now implemented this for watch screens. So if you compile Venice from the CVS repository, you'll be able to manipulate watch screen files directly. If compiling Venice from the CVS repository is a problem, I can email you the latest jar file.

bye
      Andrew

--
      Merchant of Venice,

• Neil Telford

Neil Telford - 2006-09-02

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try and compile this directly.

By the way, apart from these minor niggles, this is a great piece of software. Once a get a bit of free time to sit down and figure out the Jython stuff, I think this will open up lots of interesting possibilities.

Rgds
      Neil.

• Neil Telford

Neil Telford - 2007-03-10

Hi,

I've just tried a copy of the 0.71 release, but this problem is still occuring.

I just upgraded Java to be on the safe side.

However, if I try and apply any equations to entries in the watch screen, it still hangs and the following error is reported:

Merchant of Venice, 0.71 beta / 25/Feb/2007
      -------------------------------------------
      Copyright (C) 2003-7, Andrew Leppard (aleppard@picknowl.com.au)
      See COPYING.txt for license terms.
      Exception in thread "Thread-9" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
          at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:323)
          at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteCache.getQuotesForTime(IDQuoteCache.java:231)
          at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteCache.getQuoteCacheQuote(IDQuoteCache.java:215)
          at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteCache.getQuote(IDQuoteCache.java:184)
          at org.mov.quote.IDQuoteBundle.getQuote(IDQuoteBundle.java:91)
          at org.mov.quote.MixedQuoteBundle.getQuote(MixedQuoteBundle.java:88)
          at org.mov.quote.MixedQuoteBundle.getQuote(MixedQuoteBundle.java:80)
          at org.mov.quote.QuoteBundleFunctionSource.getValue(QuoteBundleFunctionSource.java:90)
          at org.mov.quote.QuoteFunctions.rsi(QuoteFunctions.java:248)
          at org.mov.parser.expression.RSIExpression.evaluate(RSIExpression.java:59)
          at org.mov.ui.ExpressionColumn.calculate(ExpressionColumn.java:142)
          at org.mov.ui.AbstractQuoteModel.setExpressionColumns(AbstractQuoteModel.java:100)
          at org.mov.ui.AbstractTable$2.run(AbstractTable.java:290)

• Andrew Leppard

Andrew Leppard - 2007-03-18

Could you please send me a copy of the minimum watch screen needed to replicate this problem?

thanks
        Andrew

--
        Merchant of Venice,

• Neil Telford

Neil Telford - 2007-03-24

Not sure exactly what you want me to send you.

I've just tried with a new watch screen of 19 items, and it gave the same error as when I try it with 4000.

If you want me to export data and sent it to you, can you specify exactly what you need.

Thanks
          Neil.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks