Build Your Own Camera
BYOC is an RK3066 based system that turns
an Android Google TV player into an intelligent camera system. You can of
course just use it as a wireless IP based webcam as well. Some of the advantages of
using a self contained intelligent camera system are:
- An attached USB camera is more reliable than most wifi cameras as it relates to
connectivity and FPS consistency.
- A wider selection of camera resolutions and features for the money. You can
build a high definition camera (1280x720) for less than $100 US (I paid $77.71
with free shipping). You can also choose the USB camera that fits the application
at hand. Swap out the camera for a fraction of an IP based equivalent.
- Resilience in terms of network connectivity which isn't required to capture
video. Once network services are restored the video files can be transferred
via email, SCP, etc. Most IP based cameras do not have storage hence you lose
the video stream during the outage. Your BYOC camera can last hours or days
without network connectivity!
- Distributed processing saves you from having a system powerful enough to
capture all of your camera's video streams and process them. The camera can
run the same software as a full size system, so in essence you do not need
a central PC for processing video streams.
- Being based on a popular Linux distribution allows for easy customization instead
of the crappy Chinese software on most cheap IP based cameras. You can even
load a GUI desktop for management if desired.
Steven P. Goldsmith